Discuss 1100 Shower Tray In 1170 Recess in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

As per the title, I have a 1170 recess and the customer wants me to replace the shower and re-tile as the existing shower leaked through the floor below. The old shower tray was fitted with a ledge and tiled onto. The room also has a chipboard floor and plasterboard walls. Consequently, the chipboard is damp and needs replacing and the plasterboard now has some holes in it when I removed the tiles.

I plan on renewing the chipboard and laying 6mm of cement board on top. Can't make my mind up about the walls to fill the 70mm gap. I was thinking of building the wall out on one side and maybe creating a ledge or niche feature?? For that, I was going to use Jackoboard or Wedi. The problem was the client wanted me to save their coving hence why I removed the tiles but if I'm gonna build the wall out, that will bugger that. What would you guys do?

Slim bottles of shampoo? Disposable razors? It was only a thought and could make it look like the build out had a design purpose?? :rolleyes:

As for the coving, I agree BUT if I remove it, I'll have to do it across the en-suite and decorate it which will likely mean skimming the walls or lots of filling and sanding :confused:

One other thing....the chipboard floor has black mould on it but is still solid. It looks like the shower tray shelf took the brunt as it was like Wheatabix. The plan is to cement board it anyway before tiling but I'm wondering if I need to replace the chipboard itself if it's solid? My concern would be if it was to swell or deteriorate under the cement board but the flip side is that it doesn't look like there is support under the partition wall so if I cut the chipboard out, I'm gonna have to find a way to get some noggins underneath which might mean lifting up some of the bedroom floor......grrr? Why did people ever put chipboard in a bathroom/en-suite in the first place cos the main bathroom next to this is next to be done and that's the same but with more water that's leaked through to downstairs!!

P

p4ulo

Hmm. Several options.
I guess the price of the exact fit shower tray will probs put the client off?
Deffo remove any mouldy or damp chipboard and replace.....I know it sounds like a lot of work but at least the customer will see you've done everything properly.
Niche would work, of course it would. I've just built a 5.5cm wide shelf in my own bathroom and you're right you could fit some slim bottles on it.
Coving's pretty easy to work with, once you've built the wall out, get a new piece of matching coving and blend it in.
Good luck, we all want pictures.

you can just buy an 1170 tray no problem 1170 x800 about £576 but your problem may be getting a shower door to fit after you have tiled it depending how thick the tiles are as most
shower doors ajust 1160 to 1200 check the ajustment on the door before you buy one

The door fit was/is a concern hence my initial thought to build the recess out to a more standard size. Just out of interest..... where could you get a 1170 tray from for that kind of cash? I'm sure when I had a quick scout on the interweb for bespoke sized trays, they were coming in at £1500 odd?

So if everything is rotten, you're gonna need to rectify it anyway, so cut down a 1200 tray former and tile it as a wet room floor. Coving stays, no ledges or recesses to tile, neat and tidy.

I was considering this but as I mentioned to Ray, the door fit is a concern. The customer (a friend) hasn't picked the tiles out yet but based on their taste, their liable to be too thick for a standard door size fit if I leave the recess the current size. There's also a surface mounted water pipe and waste to contend with. Bizarre that the hot feed comes off the nearby sink feed and whoever plumbed it ran it on the surface yet the cold feed comes from under the floor somewhere??

Hmm. Several options.
I guess the price of the exact fit shower tray will probs put the client off?
Deffo remove any mouldy or damp chipboard and replace.....I know it sounds like a lot of work but at least the customer will see you've done everything properly.
Niche would work, of course it would. I've just built a 5.5cm wide shelf in my own bathroom and you're right you could fit some slim bottles on it.
Coving's pretty easy to work with, once you've built the wall out, get a new piece of matching coving and blend it in.
Good luck, we all want pictures.

To be honest, the customer isn't bothered and will accept what I do/say as their attitude is, they're paying someone to deal with it and they trust me. Haven't dealt with a lot of chipboard flooring much and it seems solid so I could clean the mould off with bleach or some such chemical. I planned to overboard the floor with a cement board or possibly Marmox/Wedi board so my only concern is whether solid, but previously damp/mouldy chipboard, would rot further and become weak or expand and pop the overboard or even whether the mould could come back?

The other worry is whether there is any support under the partition wall between the bedroom and en-suite as I'd be cutting the board out right on the edge. Based on other build issues I've seen with this house, it wouldn't surprise me if nothing's there and the wall is purely supported by the chipboard floor which would then sag if I was to cut it?

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

The door fit was/is a concern hence my initial thought to build the recess out to a more standard size. Just out of interest..... where could you get a 1170 tray from for that kind of cash? I'm sure when I had a quick scout on the interweb for bespoke sized trays, they were coming in at £1500 odd?

have a look at FIORA Platos de Ducha y Mobiliario de Baño if its an odd i just buy the next size then the factory cuts it to the size required no extra cost do it all the time and they come in a range of color to .look at the
silex range or the privilege range they all come with waste and grills

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to 1100 Shower Tray In 1170 Recess in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB