Discuss 1st problem of the year... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

beanz

TF
Berkshire
Just a call from a customer about a cracked floor tile.. Floor was laid about 2/3 weeks before christmas. I haven't been round to see it yet, but apparently the tile has a hairline crack, but what's weird is the crack doesn't go all the way to the edges!?! Apparently it starts about 10mm in, goes right across the tile, but stops before the opposite edge. Have you ever seen this before? Tiles are about 450mm x 450mm x 10mm Porcelain.

beanz

TF
Berkshire
To be honest, I only use ditra if I'm tiling over multiple substrates.
Not a new extension.. House is about 10 years old.
I'm hoping it is a faulty tile, but would expect to spot that when grouting.. It's the fact the cracks don't go to the edges that I find odd!?! The only other thing I could think if, was a proud screw, but I'm pretty anal about getting the screws flat, so can't see it...

Ive had it when laying sometimes you know the sound of the tile is not right and on close inspection there is a faint hairline crack running thru the tile but dont go all the way sometimes this can be easily missed when laying,but not to say that this is the problem just might be I try and use Ditra as much as possible now days just a bit more piece of mind.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
I've had one before like that and went to look when the customer told me they had a tile with a hairline crack approx 2 inches long, only a few weeks after they were fitted. I asked where the tile was and the customer said it was in front of the fridge. On close inspection (under a magnifying glass) there was the smallest chip the middle of the crack, could only just feel it with fingernail it was so minute. Something had definitely been dropped on it as the crack ran away from the chip in 2 directions, but the customer denied that she had dropped anything. I changed the tile and the customer paid me no problem, even when I said that she didn't owe me anything. If that wasn't a sign of guilt I don't know what is. I took it of course because I knew they had dropped something on it.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to 1st problem of the year... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi, a long time since I have been here but back for some advice/reassurance ! About to tile my...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB