Discuss 1st time using marble,bathroom floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

tbaysaint

hi fellow tilers,
i have to quote on a job which has 3 small floors,wc(concrete floor) ensuite & bathroom(chipboard floor) 8sqm intotal,the customer wants to use marble tiles (never used marble before)
tiles 300 x 600 and 10mm thick. i know that i have to seal before and after grouting but not so sure what to do about substate,do i have to put down membrane on floor before tiling or do i just spread adhesive straight down and tile?

do i tile around sanitry ware or lift it all out.
what is marble like to drill into for holes.

all knowledge most welcome

D

Daz

Don't take this the wrong way but I think you're in for a shock with this job.

Is there any deflection (bounce) in the chipboard floors? If not, then you will get away with using 6mm Hardie boards (glued and screwed) which will act as a decoupling membrane and provide a tileable substrate.

If there is bounce you have an added complication as you will need to strengthen the floor before you do anything else.

What marble is it?
You will be best using a white flexible adhesive and make sure that you achieve a 100% tile coverage (anything less will give longterm issues as well as potential shadowing).

Remove the sanitary prior to tiling, work clean, seal prior to grouting, seal after grouting. Drilling will not be easy but get yourself a set of 365drills and you'll be fine.

Good luck,

Daz

D

DHTiling

Don't take this the wrong way but I think you're in for a shock with this job.

Is there any deflection (bounce) in the chipboard floors? If not, then you will get away with using 6mm Hardie boards (glued and screwed) which will act as a decoupling membrane and provide a tileable substrate.

If there is bounce you have an added complication as you will need to strengthen the floor before you do anything else.

What marble is it?
You will be best using a white flexible adhesive and make sure that you achieve a 100% tile coverage (anything less will give longterm issues as well as potential shadowing).

Remove the sanitary prior to tiling, work clean, seal prior to grouting, seal after grouting. Drilling will not be easy but get yourself a set of 365drills and you'll be fine.

Good luck,

Daz

Do you mean propper bounce..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxcxbVcGrp4"]YouTube - wigan pier - promised land[/ame]

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to 1st time using marble,bathroom floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hey all, New to the forum so go easy ;) I've finished tiling my bathroom floor with honed...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB