Discuss 1st timer- misson tile floor without cocking it up in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

1st timer

well im not a tiler but certainly no diy'er
i have my own joinery business been going 12 years so far,
when i bought my house i paid a good tiler to do my kitchen/bathroom, the time has come for another tiling job but this time i am seriously thinking about doing this one my self
im looking at tiling my living room/dining room with the view to continue into the kitchen later on once i get warrent to knock down a supporting wall,
the area im planing is 3610mm plaster to plaster with clearance under the grounds where skirting was removed for any adjusting, i plan on using 600mmx600mm porcelain tiles so thats 6 tiles wide with fingers crossed no cutting on the width of the room,
the length is 8300mm between plaster,
its going on a wood floor which i have sheeted and screwed every 150mm or less using just short of 2000 screws, long ones into the joists and shorter ones into the original boards,
i have set out a string line across the door just so i know the tiles will be ok at the threshold and have got a second line checking for square, im planning on starting from the back wall left side so i can get out the only exit, think if i can lay a row each night 6 rows souldnt be to bad, i know about starting from centre of the room by strining lines but think i should start where i have said, i will be dry laying and also chalk lining every row taking all sizes from the string along my threshold, plan on useing bar single part flexible adhesive as well, any tips or pointer would be great, although im not comitted to doing this myself yet just got it planned and thought out just in case, as you will see in the photo im stopping a good 2ft short of the wall thats going to be knocked down later so that i dont damage anything taking it down,
heres how it looks so far,
IMAG0198.jpg

IMAG0197.jpg

IMAG0199.jpg

B

Bolter

Yea same, how thick is the ply? Might want to consider a decoupling membrane (like ditra matting) over the top of the ply (once we know its thick enough)

You will need to prime the ply with a proper tiling primer (not PVA)

Personally I would then stick ditra matting down using flexi adh using a 6mm trowel or smaller.

then tile straight onto the top face of the ditra. Some may say you dont need it, so you dont necessarily need to take my advice. No problem waiting for a few replies.

But, its important to get this bit right.

1st timer

original floor was really flat, so sheeted with 9mm ply as per what the tiler asked me to do when i bought the house, he tiled the kitchen and bathroom floors about 8 years ago with no problems so far although i will be ripping the kitchen one up eventually,
"alot of potential problems" i really dont like problems if im going to end up with hassel i wont bother doing it, 29sqm is alot to have to get re-done not to mention the expense, hence the main reason for me thinking of doing it myself, ive got a real eye for detail so anything short of perfect wont be good enough

J

johnryan

i wouldn't say it's something you couldn't do yourself, if you have the time to do it, as you seem to be willing to take your time with it. i was just thinking that you could do with some help with regards to prep. there may be too much bounce in a floor that size, and i'd have thought you'd need a decoupling mat too. also, the ply you've used is below industry standard, and you'd probably be better off with at least 18mm, and possibly extra noggins in the subfloor. if you could get a tiler to come and help you out with advice with regards to these kinds of things, then you'd have a much better chance of completing the job successfully yourself. it's ok asking for advice here, and will give you a start, but really i'd say you need someone there to give you an accurate assessment of what you need to do. also, 600x600 are quite hard to lay well, so prep is even more important here too, i think. once again, good luck and hope it all goes well for you.

D

diamondtiling

To be blunt I would avoid any future advice from your 'tiler'. Some adhesive manufacturers advise that you coat the underside of the ply first before tiling and others advise the face so you need to bear that in mind. 9mm is woefully thin for this project, 18mm is advisable if you are intent on using ply, (there are better products out there)

A de-coupling membrane should definately be considered as you have not allowed for any expansion between your ply sheets. What adhesive will you be using?

1st timer

ok thanks i will look into the mat stuff, the floor at the minute is 22mm t&g skinned with 9mm structual ply totalling 31mm on the joists
the joist span 3.6m on brick dwarf walls with a further dwarf wall running the length at 1.8 so the biggest span unsupported is 1.8m the floor doesnt seam to be moving but guess you cant tell 6months a year down the line,
im soaking up all this advice like thirsty sponge, im in rush to do this and even if i were to lay half a dozen tiles per day then so be it,

Reply to 1st timer- misson tile floor without cocking it up in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
1st timer- misson tile floor without cocking it up
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.