UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss 200 reasons why ............ in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Daz

you should never quote a job without viewing it first!!!

Yes I know I'm a plank :mad2:.

I was asked by a respectable looking fella in a tile shop recently if I was interested in doing a kitchen splashie for him (5sqm) and how much. I was in a rush and said that provided the walls were good, not too many awkward cuts and as he had described it would be a days work. He agreed, we shook on the price and agreed that I would do the job on Saturday just gone.

So Saturday morning I'm driving down a road that appears to be a dead end thinking that something felt wrong when the fella pulls along side me and signals for me to follow him. A bit further down the road he chucks a left into a "travellers park" :mad2:.

I was, obviously, in a spot and decided that I would trust the fella and not let my prejudices get in the way, so did the job for him.
Then came the excuses......
"Oh you've grouted, I thought you would come back Monday to do that", "Nope, like I said this morning, I use rapid set adhesive & grout so that I can complete everything in 1 day - it's cheaper for you that way!"
"Ah, I wont have the money 'til Monday, can you call round Monday night for the money?"
"Yep!"

I get a phone call this morning.....
"I'm in Kent and won't be back tonight so can't pay you tonight, I'll call you when I'm back".

Now despite my prejudices I was prepared to do the job in good faith and treat him just like any other customer - this may have a happy ending but somehow I don't think so :thumbsdown:.

For all the less experienced tilers reading this learn from my stupidity and "Do not give pricing to anyone without viewing the job first!". I'm lucky, this was a bag of adhesive, some excess grout left over from another job and a days labour, so I'm annoyed at myself but it could have been a lot worse.

Keep smiling!

U

user123

What's a pikey? ooh, tricky one, I hope it turns out ok for you. We have travellers in the field over the fence sometimes, complete with horses, mercedes, and humming generators, but we don't have any trouble at all, and they clean the place up really well when they leave, so I suppose we are lucky, very different what we hear in the media. Maybe he'll pay you extra for keeping you waiting... :) you never know...?

C

Colour Republic

Fire with fire mate

I know you are looking at this as a bag of addy and a few wasted hours but it's somebody taking the P***.

Travellers deal in cash and unless you were you were charging 20K for that splashback then that cash was there. I've had enough dealings with travellers to know how to treat them, don't get me wrong many are bloody nice people but some will take advantage given the chance.

It's up to you mate but i'd be either getting my money or getting revenge, Sometimes that is best served cold but with travellers I'd do it sooner rather than later.

It's those sort of things that eat me up, if I know somebody has taken the p*** intentionally then I go well out of my way to sort it. I once got robbed (well conned in fact) in Barcelona about 8 years ago, it was only for 50 euros but still to this day it eats me up it's a incident that I would like to keep to a one off.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to 200 reasons why ............ in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.