UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss 20mm thick marble in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

hi all

been to look at a job and ive been booked in, 20m conservatory with undertile heating.
now they have had their heads turned by the marble work top fitter. he has said that in hampstead heath and other posh london places people are having slabs of marble cut into 1500x1000mm tiles and put down on the floors.
ive got the underfloor heating work there if they go for slate(i lay) or the marble. thing is the marble is atleast 20mm thick, would this effect the heating in anyway as its the only form of heating going into the conservatory or would it heat up fine.
obviously any effect on the heating would go in my favour.

any info would be appreciated

T

The D

i didn't think ufh heating would be sufficient to heat a conservatory as a primary heat source regardless of what tiles were laid. the heat would still get through the marble, it just may take longer to heat up. why not suggest the customers looking for a better price on the marble elsewhere (you may then get the job)

You have to be kidding m8 I’ve had ufh in my conservatory for years the radiators are useless so don’t even turn them on in there since the ufh went in.

hi Mike
the marble work tops are all booked in ready to go this week.
with regards to the heating,warm up said that it should be warm enough with insulation boards.
i think i'll call them again tomorrow and get them to confirm it,they dont want tile warmers they want room heat.
their plumber said their boiler couldnt run another radiator off it so im not sure what their choices are now if warm up will not heat the room.
thanks for your reply

J

jay

hi all
sorry you was all replying while i was writing.
there will be 10mm insulation boards under the warm up then below that is a 3inch screed with insulation below that.
it will be the 150 watt warm up single wire system.
does everybody agree that the marble will take longer to heat up and warm the room??

yes it will take longer to warm up ,but may i ask whats under the screed as far as substrate thanks (ufh is just to take the chill off the tiles not a main source of heating)

M

Mike

You have to be kidding m8 I’ve had ufh in my conservatory for years the radiators are useless so don’t even turn them on in there since the ufh went in.

My local tile shop used to supply warm up ufh and said it will be sufficient to heat an insulated new build but not an old house or conservatory. Maybe its warmer in brum than around here lol

tapatalk on my HTC

hi
im not sure whats under the screed,isnt it usually selotex or whatever it is,big foam(ish) type boards,its a new build by everest so should be to building regs and well insulated.solid end walls with small walls in front with glazed front on top and glazed roof. will have an extension to the kitchen into it and an island,not sure if hob or cooker will be in the room.
im not sure if cost was an issue with the 200w warm up but if they are buying marble then surely money shouldnt be an issue,cant be that much difference between the 150w and 200w.
just on another note,got to quote for a bathroom above a garage,has carpet at the moment,wants a price on underfloor heating and has just told me they want insulation as above garage,would the warm up boards be good enough for this?

T

Time's Ran Out

Thermonet do a 200w watt system and it's sold as a primary heat source.
Although the additional thickness of the Marble will mean a slightly slower heat up, Marble has a better conduction rate than slate and so this should not be an issue.
For the size of the Marble slabs the worktop people are suggesting, that would only be approx 14 pieces and so the client will have to decide on a style choice!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to 20mm thick marble in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi All So around 10 years ago (i had no idea it was that long ago until i looked up the order...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Going through a major refurb on the house and recently had a 13mm limestone floor...
Replies
Views
D
Replies
Views
Deleted member 57709
D
hi, i am a virtually retired tiler (58), legs back hips etc etc. a friend carpenter (65) has...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.