Discuss 2nd time tiling - bathroom refit. in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

csne2x

I've been tackling our bathroom, this is how it was initially. Only 4 years old but the Mrs decided she wanted a new shower and tiling so I set about getting it done.

I am at present 50% of the way around the room with the tiling.

The tiles are 900 x 315 from porcelanosa and due to there size and the lack of size in the bathroom it's proving tough getting the setting out done.

Can I have some opinions on my setting out at present?

And in the first two pictured the best way to set out the bare wall that goes around an internal corner. I was going to butt the tiles leaving a small gap and me fill with silicone. But then I wasn't sure if I should mitre around the corner

I have a few options.

Start in the middle which leaves small cuts at the 90 degree corner and also a small cut before it goes around the internal.

Start the tile at the door and cut it around the corner leaving quite a big cut at the window

Start a full tile to the left of the internal which leaves a decent sized cut at the window and then cut to fill the space at the door.

I hope all of the above makes sense, it's hard to get over in words.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423695986709.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 79
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423696064261.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 69
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423696133064.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 70
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423696226564.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 69
Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dash J

I don't think your setting out looks too bad,as long as you avoid small cuts you are good to go

when using big tiles (above 600) I alway try and accommodate as many full tiles as I possibly can

sometimes this means knocking things off centre but looks better

also the batten you have on in first pic needs to be dropped down to nearer the floor so you are leaving just the bottom cut to do

one last thing is I would tile trim round the door opposed to putting mdf facings back on

cheers. Marc

C

csne2x

I don't think your setting out looks too bad,as long as you avoid small cuts you are good to go

when using big tiles (above 600) I alway try and accommodate as many full tiles as I possibly can

sometimes this means knocking things off centre but looks better

also the batten you have on in first pic needs to be dropped down to nearer the floor so you are leaving just the bottom cut to do

one last thing is I would tile trim round the door opposed to putting mdf facings back on

cheers. Marc
Thanks for that, I've been trying to use full tiles and so far have been successful.

The battens were only for me to pick up the tiles from the window i'll be putting it down as you mentioned.

I was thinking about tile trim around the door but the hinges protrud quite a bit and I wasn't sure how it would look.

What I done down stairs was instead of full facing I used 35 mm architrave which finished off the tile without too much wood.

I must say I'm nervous about the internal corner, I take it butting the tiles with a grout gap is ok and no mitiring is needed?

C

csne2x

Just make sure the tiles are plumb

Plumb a course up the big wall then cut into it ,I would try and leave good edges meeting each other

Leave a 2mm gap between for silicone which should be coulour matched with your grout

Other than coming up to fife and doing it for you that's about it really lol

Take your time and you will be golden mate

Cheers. Marc
Thanks again, pretty much what I had planned. Just wondered if the pros had any other tips.

Cheers
Stuart

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to 2nd time tiling - bathroom refit. in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am looking for some advice on how to set out my tiles. I think I have a solution but...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I have a small kitchen with a floor area of 265cm x 140cm with the door recess adding another 20...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB