Discuss 3 different colour grouts!! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

AKOTiler

Ok so I have a customer who is looking to have there bathroom done and they have requested 3 different coloured grouts!!

The tiles are dark grey at the bottom half of the room.
Black glass & quartz Mosaic 3 row high on top of the dark grey.
White tiles to the ceiling.

They have requested black grout for the dark grey , gunmetal for the mosaic & then white grout for the white tiles.

The reason behind this is because his wife doesn't like grout lines and wants to disguise them as much as possible.
I'm aware I was going to be up for a fight with this grouting job, none the less if it's what they want then I will do it :mad2: .... I now need advice

I was looking at some of the forums on here but couldn't find one with someone using 3 different coloured grouts on the same wall.
So here's my plan...using bal grouts.

Grout black first masking off at the mosaic, trim black grout with Stanley to make flush with top of black tiles, wait until dry.
Mask off the black and grout the mosaic in gunmetal,trim gunmetal grout with Stanley to make flush with bottom of white tiles, wait until dry.
Mask off the gunmetal and finish to the ceiling.
Finally i wanted to seal where the grouts colours met to prevent any bleed over time.

I'm a lot worried about staining the grouts with the wash down residue as I go up the wall. Should I start at the top in this case & work my way down? Could/should I seal the grout before proceeding with each colour to ensure there is no bleed? & How long after grouting is it suitable to seal?
I was looking at the universal grout sealer spray.

its a right pain in the backside but I'm presuming it can be done successfully without bleeding the colours.
My concern is it will look awful? Has anyone ever had to do something similar? If so how did it look?

The only other time I have done this was at college, but instead of using different coloured grouts I used white and black grout and used blue and yellow food colouring to make yellow & blue grout......only because of shortages of different coloured grouts in the classroom. Anyway it bled as you can imagine & don't want this actual job to do the same lol, iv included a picture of my college experiment for your entertainment ;) see below

Just wondered what you guys with lots of experience would do as I don't want to come across a newbie :lol:

Attachments

• 27202_398577756176_716501176_5032648_5036287_n (1).jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 200
Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to 3 different colour grouts!! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Hi any advice on what would go with what. I've layed off white tiles on floor with grey...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
Hi there. I recently tiled a shower floor with a basalt mosaic tile. I used kerapoxy for the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Our tiler has done a really amazing job with our kitchen flooring, but has used a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB