UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss 30sqm in 4 hours! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
I don’t think it was the drink talking, but I was with a bloke I used to work with last night. He is looking at me to do his tiling in his new extension. He told me that it was tiled about 12 years ago. The tiles are those hex tiles with a smaller diamond insert tile. The tiler tiled it all in 4 hours!! Wait for it……….he also grouted it within that 4 hours! It’s an ‘L’ shaped kitchen and he wore some ‘special’ shoes that allowed him to walk on the tiles without moving them. He also used some ‘special’ rapid set adhesive. He charged £400 and did all the work himself. So my mate thinks that I can do the same (but without the £400 bill). Oh, and one other thing………………it was 30sqm onto screed floor. We nearly fell out over this tale as I said it was not possible to prep/tile/cut/grout/polish 30sqm in 4 hours. He then said it might have been 5 hours! All this was said after only 2 pints.

D

DHTiling

I would say
bs.gif

Somerset
Back in '76 we had it tough.

Started work at 4 a.m. breaking the asbestos lagging off the pipes and inhaling deeply before sucking up a bowl of lead acid to blow over the floor to prime the concrete. Then at 4.15 am we started tiling. 20 sq yards an hour. scoring the tiles with our fingernails before cracking the 1/2 inch thick tile over your head to break it. Tiles were stuck to the floor with cement and sand mixed by us using a teaspoon, before trowelling it with a tea knife. We dinna have grout - jus filled the joints with the addy and a licked finger to smooth it. Holes and complex tile cuts were done by nibbling the tile with your teeth or hammering a nail in a coffin tray to split a hole in the middle. Damn but we was fine proud of our work. Lippage? Only lippage we got was from foreman when we took more than 3 minutes to eat our Ginsters Cornish Pasty at lunchtimes. Worked everyday until Midnight. Slept on the tiles we had grouted and back tiling at 4 am every morning.

And you try getting a tiler to do a decent days work today and all they do is whinge. :mad2:

(This post is supporting the John Cleese Christmas ex-wives bonus scheme - if you wish to donate, please email your name and address so John can claim your tax back at [email protected])

Somerset
I have watched tilers who are genuinely fast - they tile almost by instinct, cutting and laying in a very efficient systematic way. I have also seen a few who were "fast" throwing tiles at the sub strata with no effort to twist and fix. Me I think too much about what I am doing, then sit back and admire the view..... struggle to tile 20 sq m of even open floooring/day like that!

C

Colour Republic

I don’t think it was the drink talking, but I was with a bloke I used to work with last night. He is looking at me to do his tiling in his new extension. He told me that it was tiled about 12 years ago. The tiles are those hex tiles with a smaller diamond insert tile. The tiler tiled it all in 4 hours!! Wait for it……….he also grouted it within that 4 hours! It’s an ‘L’ shaped kitchen and he wore some ‘special’ shoes that allowed him to walk on the tiles without moving them. He also used some ‘special’ rapid set adhesive. He charged £400 and did all the work himself. So my mate thinks that I can do the same (but without the £400 bill). Oh, and one other thing………………it was 30sqm onto screed floor. We nearly fell out over this tale as I said it was not possible to prep/tile/cut/grout/polish 30sqm in 4 hours. He then said it might have been 5 hours! All this was said after only 2 pints.

Your mate is aware of the difference between ceramic tiles and lino isn't he???

Reply to 30sqm in 4 hours! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Sean Kelly

Arms
TF
Ruislip

Thread Information

Title
30sqm in 4 hours!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.