UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss 35 years and never known it this bad in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

Kentish Gary

Evening all! I have just stumbled across this site! I have been a self employed tiler for 35 years, experienced in all aspects of the game. I have never known things so bad as they are at the moment. I am finding that builders or plumbers on a job before me and are jumping on the bandwagon to grab the tiling. I advertise and a local shop recommends me but even they are strugging. Anyone have any ideas how I can get more work? I am based in Kent.

T

Time's Ran Out

:welcome:Gary from Kent - After 35 years you must have a client list!
Go through your contacts with an update portfolio advising past customers of any new services you are now providing; regrouting, resealing, floor cleaning, 12 month follow up......etc.
It's back to basics or perhaps gentle reminders and a phone number to keep your name in their minds.
Good Luck and keep involved with the best Tilers Forum.

D

Deleted member 1779

Hey Gary and welcome to the forum. Its bad out there for everyone. I am just back from our local tile shop and they are thinking about jacking it in. Woman said that they make no money on tile sales because everyone demands a deal. So the only way they can exist is her husband and son fitting the tiles purchased from the shop. Last year they broke even not making a profit.

One of the tile training centres I go to fortnightly have dropped from 20 students each two weeks to 5 students every two weeks. And thats with last years bankrupcy of FIVE tile training centres.

Its going to be a tough year. Things to do that we are looking at.
1) Make sure your printing is good value. We just binned our local printer and placed an order with forum sponsor for 5000 leaflets from TMS for £175.
2) Make sure you look hard at all your outgoing expenses. Fuel. Food. Holidays. I have.
3) I now make my own sandwiches. I dont buy from shops. I take my own drinks rather than stop off at service stations.
4) I am reducing my mobile phone bill from £30 a month to £10 by binning the I-phone on Orange and getting a Nokia on O2 for £10 a month.
5) I walk a lot more. I go to the local pub on a Friday night.
6) Clothes. I have stopped spending on £40 shirts. I now have more simple clothes. I wear a uniform instead of clothes when out.
7) I am getting up an hour earlier and doing a bit more marketing. I get up at 6am instead of 7am and start my marketing work.
8) Make sure your online presence is up to date and sparkly. I do about an hour a night internet marketing.
9) Make sure that you can diversify. If plumbers are diversifying into your field. Then do the same. Better still is there someone you can team up with?
10 Make sure that you can do other things. Let me give you an example:

Last five years we have been resisting the urge to put our gear on the shopping channels. Some call it "housewives paradise.." and yet the feedback from other tile tool resellers is that it can be a useful route to market. I believed it damaged our brand (am I a snob) but now I think I will diversify and approach the shopping channels to make sure we have explored the route to market.

Its not a climb down. But in a hard recession I guess each of us has to look really deeply into what we have to do to make a living to make sure we are making the best of what we do.

Sorry to read you have to change your username but I guess "Gary the tiler" is a popular name and profession!

And good luck with the persistance in this business which I know is really hard.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to 35 years and never known it this bad in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I really need some pro advice as I have just had a bathroom fitted and the tiling...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 53945
D
Hi all, please bare with me as I am a plasterer by trade but quite handy round the house. I...
Replies
Views
Hello, looking for advice and what to do next. Have had main bathroom installed via a local...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, new to the forum and after some advice if possible. Without boring you with my life...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.