Discuss 35sq metres of floor tiles. Would you lay on top. in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

average

TF
Uk
I'm probably being abit lazy here but I'm really busy with work and have a small window of opportunity to revamp my who kitchen/dining and wanting in and out as quick as possible.

10 years ago I laid 350sq ceramic tiles in this area with tubbed Addy. Admittedly I didn't back butter tiles however they are still down solid a decade later. I'm now wanting 600x600 cream porcelain tiles and thinking of putting them ontop instead of the whole rip up, mess and extra labor.

Tbh, I've never tiled on top of tiles before. I know it's just a case big priming, Addy and good to go. This sound very appealing to save all the work needed to lift the tiles, grind out old Addy and some self lever in places.

Any pros and cons with tiling onto tiles?

average

TF
Uk
Sorry misread first post , def take them up and razor scrap the floor before prep work

If your originals are stuck with ready mix adhesive, I'll bet they'll come up really easily.
Take them up, scrape up the adhesive residue and do it properly!

Looks like they are getting taken up. I was hoping they wouldnt have to just out of lazyness. If it was a paying client, id have suggested this. One will be to cover myself if anything happend in future and two, more work. Insaying this thou, its a case of it might be ok but if its not, itll be an expensive job to do properly again. Looks ike its a rip up, grind the addy off and some leveler.

A

Aston

I'm probably being abit lazy here but I'm really busy with work and have a small window of opportunity to revamp my who kitchen/dining and wanting in and out as quick as possible.

10 years ago I laid 350sq ceramic tiles in this area with tubbed Addy. Admittedly I didn't back butter tiles however they are still down solid a decade later. I'm now wanting 600x600 cream porcelain tiles and thinking of putting them ontop instead of the whole rip up, mess and extra labor.

Tbh, I've never tiled on top of tiles before. I know it's just a case big priming, Addy and good to go. This sound very appealing to save all the work needed to lift the tiles, grind out old Addy and some self lever in places.

Any pros and cons with tiling onto tiles?

you were very lucky to get away with what you did first time around so take them all up and start again doing it the right way..

listen to the advice and hurry up because its christmas next week ;0)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to 35sq metres of floor tiles. Would you lay on top. in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

This kitchen is not level as can be seen in the attached picture. From floorboard to kitchen...
Replies
Views
Sid2323
S
Hi, I’m not looking to tile the floor, but feel this forum has some really smart and helpful...
Replies
Views
    • Agree
[reposted here as it seems much more active] Hi, I’m not looking to tile the floor, but feel...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q
    • Informative
    • Agree
hi all just seeking abit of advice on tiling onto floorboards. I’m tiling my dining room with...
Replies
Views
Unused Account 1
U
S
Ok so just putting this out there for a mate of mine to see if anyone would like to take on...
Replies
Views
Spare Tool
S

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB