UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss 39sqm of Travertine in 6 days. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
I was given a job to overboard 29sqm of kitchen floor with ply or backerboards. The room was bare (i.e. no units). 3 doorways and part of the floor was concrete.

Then I had to prime & tile in travertine (Opus Romano / French pattern). Seal & grout & seal. Some of the room also had upstands (pre cut ones).

I was given 5 days to do this.

Then the spec changed and another 8sqm of hallway was added (again it had to be overboarded and it had upstands & 5 doorways.

In total I was given 6 days to complete the job.

I don’t have a helper, but when I went back to the boss and said it would take me nearer 10 days he said 6 days is plenty time to do it.

What do you guys & girls think? Natural stone and all that cutting. Would you use ply or backerboard? I thought I could have used thermal board, but there is too much bounce in the middle of the room. Also, would a decoupler be required?

Cheers
Sean

I can't understand your tense. is this a job you've done or are wanting to do, reading about the bounce concerns me if you've already done the job and not fixed the issue first, then, if given the choice, a backerboard over ply would have been my choice.

As for time, hard to say without seeing the job but say a day to sort out the bounce and overboard 2 to 3 days to fix and seal ( approx ) and a day to grout and seal again ish imho

Oh yeah a bit more time for the de-coupler, a deffo for me.

Last edited:
a decoupler will not help with the bounce in the floor ,
you will need to put extra noggins in to strengthen floor and eliminate the bounce other wise imo this part of the floor will fail
backer boards instead of ply every time

If it came across hat I meant it as such then sorry, of course it wouldn't, I added in an edit about using a de-coupler as he had mentioned it in his post mate :)

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Alan, Cheers, I'm on a day rate, but 6 days hard slog moving all that weight (backerboard, tiles, addy etc) plus a 50 mile round trip every day and all that wet cutting does not sound attractive @£150 a day (i.e. £900 labour for a 11-12 hour day). The bouncy part is the new (probably 10 years old) extension. I know it needs sorting and I won't tile until it is. Cheers Sean

pjc It's High Wycombe!!
In Pete's backyard, oh dear lol

Not long enough mate, I'd say 8 days minimum with all that prep. If it goes well and you do it in 6 then that's great but, I think you're right to think it will take longer.

Absolutely right, depending on how far the prep goes, could turn out to be a dossiey :D

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
John, 11 hours working and hopefully 1 hour travelling. It's actually 40miles round trip. SatNav took me the wrong way today!

Thats the equivalent of £13.60 per hour and it's back breaking work. They're asking a lot of you to do it in 6 days. Like Bri said I would have been looking at about 8-9 days if it all go to plan.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to 39sqm of Travertine in 6 days. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I am planning to lay 600mm x 600mm x 20mm slate on to an anhydrite screed. It is a very thick...
Replies
Views
We just had a 1.5 sq. m area of floor tiled professionally in our ensuite. The base floor is 18...
Replies
Views
Hello all. We have employed a tiler to do our bathroom and floor tiles. We bought the tiles...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views
A
Hello All, I posted back in September and you were all very helpful with your advice on what to...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.