Guest viewing is limited

Discuss 3ph Parallel Thyristor Rectifier Not Sharing Current Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com.

3ph Parallel Thyristor Rectifier Not Sharing Current Discussion Thread3ph Parallel Thyristor Rectifier Not Sharing Current Electrical Advice

Good afternoon all,

I have a problem which has really melted my brain this afternoon and I am hoping someone can offer some insight.

My company had recently designed and built a three phase thyristor bridge rectifier for our customer.
One of our customers requests was that each thyristor had redundancy, so for each thyristor position in a normal bridge rectifier, we have two thyristors sharing in parallel.
To keep general assembly size down, we supplied to our customer 3 individual phase limbs. Below is the basic circuit diagram of each phase limb with individual thyristor fuses and snubber circuits.

[ElectriciansForums.net] 3ph Parallel Thyristor Rectifier Not Sharing Current

However, our customer is reporting that the thyristors are not sharing current equally, and in some cases, not at all.
Our customer sent one of the phase limb assemblies back to us for examination, and sure enough, they are not sharing.
One thyristor always takes full current, the other takes nothing.
We have removed the thyristors, heated them up to around 100'C (around 110'C junction temperature), run full PIV tests on them. They are fully functioning. We cannot find any fault with the thyristors.
We have even pulled thyristors from a different manufacturer out of stock and still get the same issue.
We have tried triggering the thyristors simultaneously, and individually one before the other, but to no avail.

Oddly, one thyristor ALWAYS takes full load, we'll call this 'Thy A'. If we trigger the thyristor which does share first (Thy B), it comes on and takes full load current. But the moment we trigger 'Thy A', then 'Thy B' switches off and all the current goes through 'Thy A' again.
I feel like we are simply missing something that should be obvious but it is escaping me completely.

Anyone have any suggestions?

3ph Parallel Thyristor Rectifier Not Sharing Current for the original thread on Electricians Forums

Reply to 3ph Parallel Thyristor Rectifier Not Sharing Current Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
Hello all. We have employed a tiler to do our bathroom and floor tiles. We bought the tiles...
Replies
Views
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R

Advertisement

Lou

Staff member
Admin
Staffordshire
Website
https://www.TilersForums.com
What member type are you?
  1. Support Rep (here to provide support only)
Business Name
TilersForums.com

Thread Information

Title
3ph Parallel Thyristor Rectifier Not Sharing Current Electrical Advice
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Electrical Advice
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
None

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Kerakoll

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Ardex

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Mapei

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Ultra Tile

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • BAL

Votes: 25 29.4%