Discuss 600 x 300 porcelain floor tiles that bend in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

M

marcus

Hi,

I am new to the forum and would really welcome some help.

I have been tiling as part of my general refurbishment business for twenty years and have never had any problems to date with tiling.

However I have just finished a bathroom floor in London using 600 x 300 porcelain tiles with staggered joints.
After the job was finished and grouted it became clear that some of the tiles were slightly bowed in the centre falling at both ends (slightly bent tile). This caused a really bad visual of a dark shadow as the window was lighting straight across the worse of the tiles.
The tile shop have said that porcelain tiles of this size should not be 50/50 staggered joints and a professional tiler should know this and that I should have checked every tile to make sure they were completely flat.

To my mind if the tile is bent the tile is bent and wherever you stagger the joint it will show.Obviously I should have picked up on it at the time but was overlooked at the time.

Have I done something wrong or could someone advise me if this is a common problem and what steps I should have taken to prevent this.

I really hope for some helpful advice,

Many thanks

Marcus

M

marcus

Thanks guys for your responses.

I had slightly lost my confidence with tiling after this but it is good to know there is something I can do to check it in future.

Although I think I may steer clear of staggered joints on this size of tile again.

I have laid lots of limestone this size over large floor areas, big conservatories etc and never had a problem.
Is it more prone to happen on porcelain or can it be any type of tile.

D

Daz

Interesting post Marcus - thank you.

I've done quite a few floors and walls with 60 x 30 porcy and have encountered one or two similar issues. I put it down to experience and ended up taking that bit longer on the job to make the best I could and reduce any lipping. I didn't realise that there would be possible discrepencies with the tiles, although, I have posted a similar thread regarding banana shaped tiles before now :huh2:.

I'll be more aware in future now :grin:.

T

TilingLogistics

This is a problem that is rearing its ugly head more and more especially with the advent of very large format porcelain. The longer they are, the more likely you are going to get Planimetric tolerance problems. I am with Dave on this a lot of the problems could be avoided with correct stacking and packaging after the tiles have been fired. The cheaper end of the market seem to have the most problems. I have honed two porcelain installations this year. All I can say is if you have large format porcelain to fix especially brickbond then check each individual tile for flatness and put the bad ones to one side for cuts or return them to the shop for exchange.:thumbsup:

Kev

D

Deleted member 1779

My tiler did warn me that brickbond had a tendency to kick out but mainly due to the preperation of the wall behind. I didnt realise 600x300 porcelain was prone to kicking out due to a problem in the mfr.

The ones I've got were all perfectly flat stacked together in packs of three. Wouldnt bowed tiles have been noticed when stacking up? Or am I naive?

shower2.jpg

M

marcus

The tiles I used that caused the problem had such a small deflection all from the same box that it was only noticeable afterwards when I got a level the same size of the tile and rocked it from end to end.
Although it is only a small deflection from end to end it is noticeable once the tiles are down and grouted, especially not helped as they are tight joints(2mm) so all the imperfections really showed.
The only way I would have noticed is to have checked it beforehand in this manner which I now realise was my big mistake! I certainly will in the future.

M

MICK the Tiler

This IMO is a production fault and lack of quality assurance on the manufactures part, unfortunately they will not accept liability once the tiles are fixed. (States it on every box) That's ok play by there rules next time and fault the tiles before you fix them then watch the tile shop run for cover, let them earn there coin, I get sick to death of seeing this problem week in week out and the only way to get around it is to get the tile shop to keep sending out tiles UNTIL THEY GET IT RIGHT!!!!

I recently done 200m2 of 600x300 porcelain and before I even started I faulted 125m2 with the same issues needless to say the tile shop was not happy with me, but as I kept saying "Stop selling the public S*** that you buy for $5 bucks a meter and then charge the client $45m2 If that ain't enough FAT on your C*** product for me to whinged a bit about a diserning client that commands perfection You'll keep replacing them until I say STOP!!"

M

MICK the Tiler

Thats debatable doug....:grin:..some do, some don't...but incorrect stacking of them doesn't help..:thumbsup:

Exactly Dave, The trouble lies where in China and India they use smaller kilns and have larger production runs, meaning the tiles need to be stacked at higher temps to continue production, Usually the tiles need to be cooled slowly very slowly the slower the less variation in size and deflection, Also the Italians and the spanish manufactures will commonly have over a dozen caliber sizings, by this I mean for instance a production run of a particular style of tile say 10 000m2 once cooled will be sorted into different caliber sizes usually a-n this will be on the box, 'a' usually the smallest in the series and 'n' being the largest. This takes time and costs money, money that goes into the eventual cost of the tile. Other manufactures would be lucky to sort 2-3 caliber sizes and stack them hot, hence the facial distortion that has become so common. 15 years ago these problems where rare.

E

EXRM1802

I think this is a problem that alot of newcomers encounter. one of my first jobs after my tiling course was 600 x 300 porcelain brick bond in a shower cubicle. Tiled it with a 2mm grout line thinking it would look Gucci and just couldn`t avoid lipping! took me for ever to get it right - the spot lights above beaming down showed awful shadows. I never would of known why if it was not for the forum.

D

doug boardley

I think this is a problem that alot of newcomers encounter. one of my first jobs after my tiling course was 600 x 300 porcelain brick bond in a shower cubicle. Tiled it with a 2mm grout line thinking it would look Gucci and just couldn`t avoid lipping! took me for ever to get it right - the spot lights above beaming down showed awful shadows. I never would of known why if it was not for the forum.
yes,damn those downlighters!! lol:lol:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to 600 x 300 porcelain floor tiles that bend in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 45m2 of 1.2 x 1.2 Mirage 9mm floor tiles to lay. Never done this size before. I’m...
Replies
Views
Available - Porcelanosa Hampton Beige Floor Tile 22cm x 90cm (13 Boxes - 15.444 M2) Porcelanosa...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB