UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss 600mm tile layout - will this work or look odd? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project.

I have two different types of 600mm tiles i'm using in a bathroom - a white tile which will go across the floor in a straight lay pattern, this white tile will also go one tile up the wall the entire way around. Above that we have the 2nd tile - a contrasting pink, terracotta tile. Both are 600mm, but they're actually 596mm (white) 598mm (pink). My plan to run them up the wall perfectly in line is not going to be easy given the different sizes of the tiles, the grout lines just won't run straight. The floor is now already laid. I have a couple of options i think.

1) Continue the white tile up the wall 1 tile high keeping the white grout lines all straight, then switch to the pink tile and offset them half way (breaking the bond). Continuing the pink tiles up straight after the half tile break.

2) Same as above but continue in a stretcher type tile pattern with the pink. This might look strange given the straight tile run on the floor?

3) Continue up the walls in straight lines and switch to a 1mm spacer for the pink trying to keep everything as tight as possible. I could possibly widen out the white tile that goes 1 tile up the wall out 0.5mm too to try to keep them matched up as best i can.

Any advice on which option to go for which will look the best?

I've attached a few photos.

Thanks to anyone who has the time to send a comment.

Cheers, Tom

Attachments

• IMG_4869.jpg
    520.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_4897.jpg
    436.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4898b.jpg
    463.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4899.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 50
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project.

I have two different types of 600mm tiles i'm using in a bathroom - a white tile which will go across the floor in a straight lay pattern, this white tile will also go one tile up the wall the entire way around. Above that we have the 2nd tile - a contrasting pink, terracotta tile. Both are 600mm, but they're actually 596mm (white) 598mm (pink). My plan to run them up the wall perfectly in line is not going to be easy given the different sizes of the tiles, the grout lines just won't run straight. The floor is now already laid. I have a couple of options i think.

1) Continue the white tile up the wall 1 tile high keeping the white grout lines all straight, then switch to the pink tile and offset them half way (breaking the bond). Continuing the pink tiles up straight after the half tile break.

2) Same as above but continue in a stretcher type tile pattern with the pink. This might look strange given the straight tile run on the floor?

3) Continue up the walls in straight lines and switch to a 1mm spacer for the pink trying to keep everything as tight as possible. I could possibly widen out the white tile that goes 1 tile up the wall out 0.5mm too to try to keep them matched up as best i can.

Any advice on which option to go for which will look the best?

I've attached a few photos.

Thanks to anyone who has the time to send a comment.

Cheers, Tom
i dont mind no2 option it looks ok

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to 600mm tile layout - will this work or look odd? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone. Hope you are well. I want to learn how to tile and do a fairly basic bit of...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.