Discuss 600x300 porcelain tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Time's Ran Out

Poppy - 600x300 PORCELAIN tiles will be heavier than smaller ceramic tiles if you decide to change specification.
A bagged cement based adhesive will be required for the larger format tiles.
However the issue is the weight of the 600x300 porcelain tiles on your existing walls.
The walls that you have the EMULSION paint on will have to be 'scratched/keyed' through to the plaster and sealed with the appropriate primer prior to ANY tiling under 300x300mm
If you wish to use the 600x300 porcelain tiles you may take this opportunity to remove/cover all the stud plaster skimmed walls and mechanically fix plasterboard/backer board to give yourself a surface that will take the 30kg/sq mt required for the new tiling.
Yo may also wish to tank the 'wet' areas as an added precaution.
Hope this and the other posts help in your choice of tile.

D

Deleted member 1779

Hi
I have just joined as looking for advice. I have bought 600x300 10 mm wall & floor tiles and now worried if these will be to heavy for my bathroom walls. My house is timber kit with plasterboard walls. Shall I just change for smaller tiles as all adhesives seem to have a limitation of 300x300. Would the Mapei super flexible adhes be suitable.

Poppy one of the biggest concerns I had about my own bathroom five years ago was identical to yours. Would the walls support the weight of those damn porcelain tiles that I had just gone out and bought. They were SO HEAVY to lift... But I have to say if you follow the advice on here then you will be fine.

To-date my walls are still standing and my tiles are still fixed solid. But you are right to seek advice. If you are at all unsure ask the shop that sold you the tiles to recommend a good tiler. If you are considering doing this job yourself - dont. Get a pro in with lots of experience. They will be able to assure you of material choices. When it comes to large format porcelain tiles of 600x300 I would always insist you use a professional installer who has a checkable back history.

shower1.jpg

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten. http://www.saidwhat.co.uk/quotes/favourite/gucci_slogan

R

Rich

Good advice above. To be honest it would be ideal to reboard the walls with a cement cement board. I would be worries about any damage done to the plasterboard when the old tiles were removed and would want to get the best substrate to tile onto as I could.

As John says above, tanking the wet areas is always a very good idea but if you go with a cement board (and fit it to the manufactureres specs) you should not need to as they will not be damaged with water as a plasterboard will be.

Reply to 600x300 porcelain tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I have a shower tray installed and it is sitting away from the wall. I am going to...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
A question about mitering and matching epoxy colour I'll be working with some pinkish matt...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
600x300 porcelain tiles
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.