Discuss 70m2 floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Hi,
Looking for some advice.
I have been asked to tile 68m2 floor.
27m2 kitchen utility room, substrate is concrete.
23m2 extension, ply lined
18m2 external, concrete.
The builders have said they want me to use hardie backer board throughout.
Is this job possible to do myself and if so how long would it take.
I haven’t been tiling long and only completed one floor and one bathroom so far.
Any advice, tips are hugely appreciated.

You're the tiler so don't let builders tell you how to tile, would be my first tip. I wouldn't use Hardi outside for a start, and why would you want to anyway? What's it achieving? You can use Hardi over the plywood no problem. The first question that springs to my amateur mind is how long has the screed been down?
I don't see why you couldn't do this on your own but hopefully some actual expert tilers on here will be along to advise you about expansion joints etc. You've done the right thing coming here to ask for advice as it's not a straightforward job. Good luck with it.

eddcottee

Arms
Ipswich
I've only been tiling around 12 months now myself mate and I went into a couple of big jobs far too early on and it caused issues and just wasn't worth the stress. My advice would be to walk away from it and build up your confidence, skills and knowledge by concentrating on smaller jobs first like simple splash back's, small floors and small bathroom jobs. Then try to move on to some bigger jobs once you feel comfortable doing those.

If you do decide to press ahead with this one, there are plenty on the forum who will no doubt offer some sound advice. I've learned an awful lot through here.

Good luck with your new business either way

If I was doing the job id look at it as 3 separate areas, therefore they seem more manageable.

Make sure the ply has no deflection
Use a uncoupling membrane on the concrete
Look at each area and try and figure out how long they would take individually then add them up, then add a day or two.

Obviously check what tiles they plan to use and add that into your calculations.

Have you got the tools if they were to specify;
Travertine in opus pattern or
1200 x 1200 Porcelain slabs...

Are the rooms empty? Obviously a lot easier to tile empty rooms than having to go around kitchen cabinets etc.

Take into account tile clips if they are large format.

There is so much to take into account ... but it would be a good learning curve and if you get it right then possibly a ton more work off the builders?

If I was doing the job id look at it as 3 separate areas, therefore they seem more manageable.

Make sure the ply has no deflection
Use a uncoupling membrane on the concrete
Look at each area and try and figure out how long they would take individually then add them up, then add a day or two.

Obviously check what tiles they plan to use and add that into your calculations.

Have you got the tools if they were to specify;
Travertine in opus pattern or
1200 x 1200 Porcelain slabs...

Are the rooms empty? Obviously a lot easier to tile empty rooms than having to go around kitchen cabinets etc.

Take into account tile clips if they are large format.

There is so much to take into account ... but it would be a good learning curve and if you get it right then possibly a ton more work off the builders?
Thanks, that’s what I’ve done, separate jobs, quoted for each room individually. The rooms are going to be empty except the kitchen but I’m just going to tile up to the feet of the units and then the plinths will go down.
I’ve never used the membrane before but after looking into it I’ll be laying it on top of thin screws 4mm trowel and then make sure no air underneath by using a grout flout to smooth it out.
Tape the joints and then start laying the tiles.
When I lay on top of the membrane should I use a solid bed of adhesive or use a 12mm trowel? The tiles are porcelain 60x30.
Cheers

Sounds very similar to a job ive got booked in later this month - The 8m x 8m concrete screeded section looks like the Himalayas!! So, theres high spots to grind off and a pallet load of self leveling to pour.
On a large size definitely worth considering decoupling membrane / expansion joints. Though I'm not sure the max distance you can go with out expansion joints...
got a feeling its 21 feet...

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to 70m2 floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
We are looking for flooring for our new kitchen, lounge and hallway and would like to use LVT...
Replies
Views
ben_gee
B
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB