Discuss 9mm marine ply in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jivemonkey

Hi,

Bought 9mm marine ply, cut to size as one piece, to lay onto first floor level bathroom floorboards then overlay 6mm hardibacker boards with adhesive and screws into the ply.

I have been told 9mm ply is too thin and my tiles will crack (they are large rectangualr tiles), but is this the case when there are already floorboards and I will also overlay hardibacker, should I buy a thicker piece around 15mm to be on the safe side??

R

RDTiling

Hi there.

If your floor boards are free from deflection, then you can miss out the ply wood completely and put hardi backer board straight onto the floor boards and then you are good to start tiling

hardie boards should be 'glued and screwed' to the floor boards and by that I mean trowel tile adhesive (6mm trowel) over the floorboards and then set the hardi boards of top of the adhesive and them screw the boards down.

hardie recommend that a non-flexible adhesive is used to fix their boards, however I know of plenty people who use flexible adhesive and have never had and problems.

Also, the joints between the boards should be taped as per hardie's instructions.

I hope this helps.
Rich

Hi,

Bought 9mm marine ply, cut to size as one piece, to lay onto first floor level bathroom floorboards then overlay 6mm hardibacker boards with adhesive and screws into the ply.

I have been told 9mm ply is too thin and my tiles will crack (they are large rectangualr tiles), but is this the case when there are already floorboards and I will also overlay hardibacker, should I buy a thicker piece around 15mm to be on the safe side??

If your floor is pretty sound and free from deflection you probably would get away with just Hardy. If you start looking at overboarding with say 15mm ply, then hardy then tile. You end up with a huge step into the room.
If the floorboards are in bad shape why not rip them up put a few extra noggings in where needed and lay a new floor using 18mm ply. Its a bit more work but it will look better than a step.

J

jivemonkey

thanks, the floorboards dont seem to move much, not noticable anyway, previous floor was mosaic on thinner ply and that was okay my idea was 9mm ply then 6mm hardibacker screwed and adhesive down = 15mm sub tile flooring to give a stiff floor but I am leaning towards buying 15mm ply as I would rather over engineer than end up having to refit my floor which would be a horrendous amount of work...

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to 9mm marine ply in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber...
Replies
Views
Hi all, first post. I’m currently doing a job on my house where we’ve moved the kitchen and...
Replies
Views
My Omnie TorFloor UFH is now in place and has been filled with water at mains pressure with no...
Replies
Views
Perfect Tiling
P
Hi, I bought 6mm No More Ply for my bathroom floor before I tile. As you can see the...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Was just seeking some advice from the pros on a question I know has been asked many...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB