Discuss A bit of advice on getting a tiler in for my bathroom please in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

robbo2012

Hi,

Thought this would be a good place to ask, I'm getting a tiler in to do my bathroom... he said he'll take the old tiles off etc BUT I never asked and feel a bit of an idiot for asking but would he be expecting me to take the shower off the wall along with the toilet and sink or should I expect him to do this?? I'd give it ago myself (very temtped) but just dont seem to have the time.

Thanks,
Robert.

J

jonnyc

i guess that you have not had a detailed estimate or quote, otherwise you would be to the wiser.
from your perspective robbo , being a potential customer looking for work to being done, i imagine you have taken your quote from tiler to include all works to get him to stage of being able to fix tiles unless he has stated otherwise.
the devil is in the detail , hence i can understand your concern .

R

robbo2012

Yeah I've phoned him, good job really because he wants them ready to tile, so need to take the toilet and sink away from the wall no problems, but haven't a clue where to start with the shower lol. There's no screws or anything, it's pretty simple its got two taps; power on the left and temperature on the right... I'm assuming I need to prise the caps off the end of the taps (after turning the water off lol) then unscrew everything that's holding it to the wall... should be easy enough to get it off to reveal the pipes!

Thanks guys

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Yeah I've phoned him, good job really because he wants them ready to tile, so need to take the toilet and sink away from the wall no problems, but haven't a clue where to start with the shower lol. There's no screws or anything, it's pretty simple its got two taps; power on the left and temperature on the right... I'm assuming I need to prise the caps off the end of the taps (after turning the water off lol) then unscrew everything that's holding it to the wall... should be easy enough to get it off to reveal the pipes!

Thanks guys

Strange, not that my opinion is based on anything because i've never had to ask your question to another tiler. But, i would personally have included removal and re-fit of sanitary and brassware in my quote. Unless, you were employing me as your tiler and had someone else doing the fitting. Anyway, if you can post a picture of your shower i might be able to help you with removing and isolating the supplys.

S

SteveyJ

DO NOT do this yourself... if the tiler does not know a plumber etc who can do it, then employ one... becuase these will need pipe work adjustment after the tiling and if you do not know how to remove, then you will deffo not know what to do if you have to re-plumb... so to save yourself a major headache use a plumber..

Dave is spot on - as always :hurray: - don't do it yourself, more than likely that pipework will be suited to its current installation and either have copper pipework cut to length or threaded male irons to the right length, once those tiles are removed and you either have to repair damaged walls and/or fit your new and probably thicker tiles the shower pipework won't probably be long enough and then not fit correctly and give you a leak you can see or worse behind the tiles - either way it might leave you having to replace all your new tiling and give you a grand pain in the behind!!!

Get a plumber on board - won't take him too long to isolate and get it ready for the refit!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to A bit of advice on getting a tiler in for my bathroom please in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, My tiler has just left and apart from him chatting to me about his life story for majority...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello, looking for advice and what to do next. Have had main bathroom installed via a local...
Replies
Views
I had my bathroom done in September and my floor tiles have movement in them and the grout is...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB