Discuss A chorus of cracks - Karndean interweave loose tiles in the Floor Fitters Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Can somebody help me? Last night, after a few beers, I was drawn to the bathroom-as you do! I walked on the skim coat I'd put down in the bathroom floor (6mm ply) during the day in preparation for Karndean interweave loose tiles. I was blown away by a noise of what I can only describe as a chorus of tiny cracks from the skim coat. I can't see any cracks, and they seemed to have stopped; will it be OK for me to carry on tiling or should I take up the skim coat and proceed with the adhesive? I don't know whether I'll ever get my aim back.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
For the price of karndean I'd scrape that up and redo it. Rubbing a housebrick over it is dusty but should get it off or at least confirm if it is stuck well still.

If you can't see the cracks then it has debonded I'd guess and you heard it crack the other side of it. Sort of thing.

Lovely flooring by the way pictures please 🙏

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Must be honest mate we're more solid-tile people on here.

Just a guess (please check with floor maker and adhesive brand first); if you can get most of the skim up and whats stuck is for sure still really stuck, you may be okay with the 'skim' again and then the adhesive etc.

We use things like this to sand/grind surfaces: https://www.amazon.co.uk/FEIN-Recha...-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

You should be able to hire one, or one like it. DeWalt and Bosch and everybody does a version now I think.

How did you find us mate?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to A chorus of cracks - Karndean interweave loose tiles in the Floor Fitters Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
I started removing the tiles in my bathroom today and the majority of the plaster has come off...
Replies
Views
Tikkaaa
T

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB