UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss A few questions, HOW DO YOU.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Martino

Hi i have tried many different ways to fit bath,s whats your best way...

Fit a wooden battern along the 3 walls to stop movement (especially on cheapo baths)
Not needed on more expensive rigid baths,

Do you mastic the bath or use a bath seal...if mastic do you tile straight to the bath or leave a spacer gap?

I have done all of these in my time, i find leaving a spacer gap and using mastic to be the better seal, havent used a bath seal for years!....batern to support bath too although on the bath i just fitted it was really strong and didnt think it was really needed...still did it tho!

B

bugs183

Always a problem this! 99% of plumbers will still not batten, remove the protective polythene and/or silicon the bath properly, bless them. But its the tilers fault everytime the bath leaks.
I've gone to loads lately where the plumber just tells the customer to tile down past the bath height and he'll silicon the bath to the tiles.
Now when i measure a job and the plumber hasn't been in before me, i tell the customer that the bath needs to be battened and siliconed, and guess what it never happens!!

M

Muse2k8

Baths should realy be fitted using brackets supplied. Any additional timber would be a plus. I have not seen many peeps use the brackets for a while. Too many cowboys these days across all trades.

The brackets supplied with a bath are useless. Why waste time fitting them when you are going to put in your own support that would hold an elephant (in some cases it needs to!).

T

tfs

The brackets supplied with a bath are useless. Why waste time fitting them when you are going to put in your own support that would hold an elephant (in some cases it needs to!).

Many people who add support to baths put a batton under but, not all people cut a rebate/ lip on timber supports to stop the bath moving away from the wall. Thats one of the ideas of the bracket.

So, if someone puts supports under a bath that wont stop the bath from moving in every direction and this still leaves room for failure of the sealants etc.

I know the brackets are crap in terms of downward weight but they will stop moving in other directions.:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to A few questions, HOW DO YOU.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am in the middle of renovating my bathroom. First of its kind for me! The walls were...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi, new to forum and first post, after some advice. Recently had the chamber of my fireplace...
Replies
Views
Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.