Discuss A little advice needed. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

Confused

I have just had a fair amount of work done by a reputable builder on my home. New doors, double glazing, staircase, new small roof, roof repairs and a kitchen and bathroom. The work has been done very well and the builders have been very friendly throughout.

However I have one problem and would like some advice.

I live in a terrace where the bathroom is separated from the kitchen by a small 4ftx4ft square hall. We decided to go for black floor tiles and black grout throughout the kitchen, hall and bathroom. As soon as the floor tiling was done I queried the slightly mixed colour of the grout. In some places deep black and in others dusty grey. I was told that it was natural and once it had dried out properly (4-6 weeks) it would all be the same colour.

10 weeks on and the whole house is now completed and the final invoice is in. Before paying I queried the grout issue and was told...

"it is effloresnce salts coming through with the moisture in drying out process, there is one or two products that you can get to combat this, but I think if it was mine I would wait and see if it goes of it's own accord over time, as it is a product issue I don't really see how I can do to much about it other than advise you as best as I can, I have also been told that although It is a rear occurence it does happen from time to time, and is especially noticeable on black grout."

So my question is what should I do. Ask my builder to sort it out as part of his guarantee before I pay him, or do I accept that it is natural and accept it?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to A little advice needed. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB