UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss A little help on tile trims in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

stevienet

Hi
I'm a complete beginner when it comes to tiling, so please forgive me if I'm not coming across clear!, but I'm gonna have a go at tiling my kitchen. I've chosen the tiles I want, they will be glazed on the front only, all the sides are unfinished. I've worked out the setting out (i'm tiling above my worktop 7 tiles high, the tile dimensions are 150mm wide and 75mm high) and am concerned at the way it will look at the very top of the tiles due to them being unfinished and around the corners around by the windows and window sill.

I've seen you can get tile trims which will cover up the edges but the diagrams I've seen seem to show they will not fit flush vertically against a wall. Can anyone shed a bit of light on whether this is the case?

Also, when fitting them around corners (around a window, one will be horizontal and another at 90 degrees vertically) there will be a gap between the 2 tile trims where the round beads will meet. How would I fill this gap?

Sorry if thats a bit confusing but thanks for taking the time out to read!

Steve

T

timb138

Hi Steve,
As Andy said, the best way to do around a window is to mitre the tiles so you don't use trims at all but it is definitely not easy to get right for a novice especially in the 3 way corners where the cill meets the vertical edges of the window and the main wall.
Trims are easier and you get different sizes to match the thickness of the tile but they make the job look amature although you can get aluminium ones that can look good. Remember to take into account the depth of adhesive under the tiles when working out where the tiles butting up against the corner will be cut (or where a whole tile finishes) before you start.
You just use 1 corner trim to radius the join not 2 backing onto each other (look at some pictures or another house) and you mitre the ends of the trims where they meet at 90 degrees in the corners.
Personally I don't normally like trims around the top of tiles but it depends on the finish of the tile edge, you can just put a slim fillet of grout along the top edge to merge it into the untiled wall above but if you do it too thick it cracks off later.
Tiling may look easy but it's not quite that straightforward and working out the best places for tiles to join around Windows, doors, worktops, etc (so you don't get small strips of tile near any corners) can take the best part of a day.
If you are asking this sort of question on here then consider getting a tiler to do the job but if you want the sense of achievement that comes from doing a good job yourself then expect lots of frustration, additional cost, wasted time and tiles.
Don't rush to start laying tiles, plan every join before you start and cut the first row of tiles you put on the wall to suit, rarely does the it work out that the bottom row can be a full tile. Plan to the mm, start planning from the middle of windows and other obstacles and the grout thickness will be determined by these measurements. Don't vary your grout thickness throughout the room.
Good luck.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Hi Steve,
As Andy said, the best way to do around a window is to mitre the tiles so you don't use trims at all but it is definitely not easy to get right for a novice especially in the 3 way corners where the cill meets the vertical edges of the window and the main wall.
Trims are easier and you get different sizes to match the thickness of the tile but they make the job look amature although you can get aluminium ones that can look good. Remember to take into account the depth of adhesive under the tiles when working out where the tiles butting up against the corner will be cut (or where a whole tile finishes) before you start.
You just use 1 corner trim to radius the join not 2 backing onto each other (look at some pictures or another house) and you mitre the ends of the trims where they meet at 90 degrees in the corners.
Personally I don't normally like trims around the top of tiles but it depends on the finish of the tile edge, you can just put a slim fillet of grout along the top edge to merge it into the untiled wall above but if you do it too thick it cracks off later.
Tiling may look easy but it's not quite that straightforward and working out the best places for tiles to join around Windows, doors, worktops, etc (so you don't get small strips of tile near any corners) can take the best part of a day.
If you are asking this sort of question on here then consider getting a tiler to do the job but if you want the sense of achievement that comes from doing a good job yourself then expect lots of frustration, additional cost, wasted time and tiles.
Don't rush to start laying tiles, plan every join before you start and cut the first row of tiles you put on the wall to suit, rarely does the it work out that the bottom row can be a full tile. Plan to the mm, start planning from the middle of windows and other obstacles and the grout thickness will be determined by these measurements. Don't vary your grout thickness throughout the room.
Good luck.
10/10 for effort but that thread is from 2011!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
D'oh! It came up in the similar threads box where other recent posts used to be so presumed it was new.
Thanks for letting me know.
It's okay. I don't mind old threads being pulled up. It can always help somebody else who's reading it in the future. We've had some really good threads resurrected recently by members doing what you've done.

Keep it up if your posts are always that long! :)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to A little help on tile trims in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, new to forum and first post, after some advice. Recently had the chamber of my fireplace...
Replies
Views
We recently finished a bathroom renovation where the two builders who did the bathroom also did...
Replies
Views
So, I've tiled most of the wall in my downstairs WC and am left with a narrow floor to ceiling...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.