UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss A tale of woe, sourcing problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

pixie2097

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. A brief introduction to the problem. Some 18 months ago we had the Lone Ranger fix up our bathroom which including tiling the lot. The process was painful and it took 7 weeks to get him out of the place. I won't bore you with the details. Since that time we've issues with water leaking through the lounge ceiling if we have guests or stand in the shower too long. The grout has turned orangey and in the corner of the bath under the shower the grout joint was suspiciously large. I did a week long tiling course locally which only served to help me realise how bad the job was on reflection. I eventually bit the bullet and pull off a few bottom tiles, which came away with little effort. The full horror was then revealed. Sopping wet plaster board, black mould. Tiles were held on with sploges of poor quality adhesive. In the case of the two most resistant tiles I found them to be held on with mastic. (The guy is now living in Africa beyond the reach of any trigger man I could afford to answer your first question.)

The problem I've now struck is sourcing the tiles. As you might expect, the tiles concerned are discontinued, were a Topps exclusive apparently, and they don't have any left anywhere. Does anyone have an bright ideas about how to source them? I've done my best to photograph them. The are a uneven matt finish. The colour is more off white than biege.

20120512_140601_resized.jpg 20120512_140739_resized.jpg

B

bugs183

Oh no, sorry to hear about your job.
White tiles can be a really problem for shading especially between batches, if you manage to find the replacements it could look like a very strange if there are different shades.
Also if it is as bad as you say then i think patching the problem will not help you in the long term. Sounds like the shower area at least needs totally stripping and reboarding, tanking and tiling correctly. If there is mould and damp everywhere than that is bad for your house and your health.
Personally i'd bite the bullet and rip the old work out, not what you want to hear, but you'll always have issues with the work done.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to A tale of woe, sourcing problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

hi everyone, long time lurker but first post here Building some new toilets at work so the old...
Replies
Views
K
Hello, I have just grouted my new tiles and after 3 days it has started to go yellow in...
Replies
Views
U
About a year ago, I had 64 sqm porcelain tiles installed on top of a concrete slab, forming a...
Replies
Views
S
So I am helping out a builder on a prestige house in Central London, long and short of it is...
Replies
Views
Unused Account 1
U
P
We had a wet room installed about 8 months ago. The floor is tiled with large 60x60cm porcelain...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.