Guest viewing is limited

Discuss A 'wee' bit frustrated in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tiler51

Hello all,

I am new here, first post, so go easy.

Ever since I was small, people, primary my Mum and Teachers, have always said I am good with my hands. Anyway, I now work for a bank as a Finance and Risk Analyst, but as you guessed it, I am getting slightly bored of being at a desk, and all of the asscoiated crap that comes with that eg PC crap from HR, rules left right and centre, every click on the mouse being monitored etc etc.

I have now for a while (2yrs), wanted to become a self employed tiler. The reason I havn't done anything up to now is due to the little fact that my partner is still at Uni, and we need cash to pay the mortgage, so the risk is too great in my mind to take until she starts to earn.

Well, it wont be long until she is in full-time employment, and it will be my turn to do what I want.

I have been looking into becoming a tiler, and the actual self-employed side of things is easy to grasp (NI, tax returns, website etc etc), but the frustrating part is actualy trying to find out what is the minimum requirements are to become a tiler before you can start charging people their hard earned cash.

I have looked at Telford College in Edinburgh, and they offer a year long course. I have also looked into a course at Grangemouth, and they offer a 4 1/2 day course.

Can someone detail for me the best way to get up to a decent standard of tiling in order to let me go it alone on a self employed basis. What 'paperwork' is required? Is there a licence as such? Whats required to work on a building site etc

Many Thanks

F

Fekin

Hi there tiler51 and welcome to the forums.

Course length is something that can be hotley debated on here as many feel that with even just a 4 or 5 day course under your belt, if you take to it and can produce a decent standard, with a little time doing a few family and friends bathrooms\kitchens as more practice than anything, you can easily be good enough to go out there and start charging paying customers.

On the other side, there will always be some that cannot or will not accept that people going down this route will ever be compitent enough unless they are time served, starting off at collage then as a lacky for a few years, then allowed a little go.

Now some people who run training courses that do NVQ's will obviously advise this is the better way to go, and I ain't going to say being NVQ trained is a bad thing, obviously it is a good thing.

At the moment, there is no need for you to have any form of qualifications to work for yourself, though passing the CSCS course will allow you to work on every building site within the country, and as far as I know it will become a must have by 2010 to work on site, but nothing regarding domestic work.

Best I could say is, try a 4 or 5 day course, see how you get to grips with tiling, then see where your at then, then either go the NVQ route while doing a few jobs here n there, or whatever you want.

Good luck deciding.
----
Is it really that easy.

I have done some small tilling work for family, and they certainly seem happy with it.

What would a year course at Telford teach me that a 41/2 day intensive course wont??

A good 4 day course will cover the needed basics, that is all they can really do with that amount of time, but that's the route I took, and I can't complain what so ever.
With a longer course you'll be taught the same basics, just for longer, have more hands on time etc, but if you do a 4 day course, feel confident enough to do your own home, then a few friends etc, then I feel your more than enough on your way to start doing paying customers.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tfs

Hi Mate,

I am currently studying the year course at Telford. PM me and I can give you more details.

As a start, the year course does go into more depth, I feel it is ideal for building confidence, you have some one to ask if you need anything (tutor). It also allows you to build up experience over the year and allows you to work on becoming self employed. Another bonus is they give you a free basic tool kit. (must admit, the tools are very basic)

I have done several jobs whilst on the course and feel that I am at a level to complete most jobs now.

For people who dont already have one, Telford put you through you CSCS test.

kris

T

tfs

Unless you get an NVQ assesment you will only be able to get a 'General Opperative' card. This gets you onto sites. This is a must for Labourers etc. You can contact your local CITB office and arrange a test (mutiple choice) at a cost of £17 - 20.

On completion of this you will be given a certificate and then you will need to pay £20 for a card to be posted out to you.

As for the costs of the course this depends on you circumstances. You may be eligable for funding from SAAS, you may get a bursary or grant to assist with living costs etc.

I think the course is around £900 +

D

Dicko1973

Hello and welcome tiler51

I think you should do what ever feels right for yourself obviously there's cost,time and other factors to take into account. In my case I didn't have the time or the money to go on a full college course so booked on at the North East Tiling Training centre for the five days. I came out of that with the confidence to go charging customers immediately. I am still a long way off calling myself a professional tiler yet but the jobs I've done have all been to a great standard which the customer was pleased with.

Like fekin said try it and see what you think if you are confident enough after the 5 days then go for it. I'd be surprised if you didn't feel as if you had enough knowledge after the course it is surprising how much you can learn in a short time.

All the other stuff like tax returns, NI and websites are all easy things to sort out along the way. The CSCS Card is essential if your looking to go down the sites route though.

Hope this helps in some way.

Good Luck.

Dicko

T

tfs

I enjoy the course as I get to practice over and over again at no extra cost to me. You really get the chance to work on the things that matter. Plus all the benefest of education sector hollidays (lol)

You can work on jobs in you spare time or work part time for someone else.

They teach all the basics, you will not be a fully competent tiler by the end but, thats where this site and getting out and doing small jobs come in.

kris

T

tiler51

Guys/gals,

Thanks for all your help.

I think I may go down the 5 day course as you say to see how it goes. I can do this when on hols from work, so can do that pretty soon.

Re the CSCS card, is there an online practice type thing, just like the theroy driving test??? Is it all common sense?

Again, thanks for all the input, didnt expect all this response.

One more question, and heres the big one. When you all went self-employed, just how much business did you get?

T

tfs

Hi Mate,

I felt it was pretty much common sense, much of which you may already know from Health & Safety at your current place of work.

I to was in the same position as you, best I can so is do what you feel is best for you. If after the short course you feel ready go for it! You could always do the year course in the future as it is niot due to enroll again until Sept 08.

One thing I would say about starting up is, unless you a at a very good standard and manage to get alot of work coming in through contacts you should try to get a part time job whilst starting up as this gives you a bit more to help pay the bills etc. Alternativly save a few months salary and use it to cover living costs and a bit left over.

It would be worthwhile to start taking pictures of all your work and put a portfolio together. Some peeps (usualy other tradesman ask for this when your starting out)

Reply to A 'wee' bit frustrated in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm really sorry to bore Many of you. I didn't want to hijack another post. I'm 42 good...
Replies
Views
Good morning, i took voluntary redundancy that kicks in at the end of September. I did a home...
Replies
Views
We are having some issues with our newly laid tiles. Within several weeks of being laid, we...
Replies
Views
David John
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
A 'wee' bit frustrated
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.