Discuss About to tile kitchen floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

U

ubdai

Basically I am just after some guidance. I am about to attempt to lay some floor tiles in the kitchen which is getting ready for a refit, so tiles need to be down before kitchen installer arrives. Best way to approach it or so I've been told.

Background info
House was built in 1979 and has cast concrete slab for the floor, originally some hard non flexible black colour tiles were put down at build with some sort of black resin adhesive. Later on these were covered with cork tiles. See pic

Now in the process of ripping up both sets of tiles and when doing so there is an ever so slight petroleum type smell. This disappears after about an hour.

As the original tiles were laid at build can I assume that the floor is fairly level as the tiles are only about 3-4mm thick so any unevenness in the floor would have been apparent then.
Would I require to put down some self levelling compound if deemed to be required
if not
Do I need to completely remove original black adhesive before prepping the floor for insulation boards and UFH or just stick insulation boards straight on top with suitable adhesive.

Thanks
ubdai

Attachments

• P1010172.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 52
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to About to tile kitchen floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Our tiler has done a really amazing job with our kitchen flooring, but has used a...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB