Discuss Acceptable tiling or not? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Michelle M

I've just got home from work and this is the tiling in my en-suite so far. Is this acceptable or not? I've included 5 photos and I'm having my ensuite tiled throughout with the same tile:theres a photo where the floor meets the walls and the tiles do not line up. Chips in the tiles, Where the window frame there is the silver edging strip used and this is not flush with the tile i.e the tile sticks out and looks raised, a tile which has been cut down the edge which looks like it has a serated edge.

I'd appreciate your views as to whether you'd be happy with this level of work.

Thanks

Michelle
photo (1).JPG photo.JPG photo (4).JPG photo (3).JPG photo (2).JPG

M

Michelle M

Am I out of order asking them to do this? What about the cost of the tiles? Should I expect them to replace them as they messed up in the first place?

I wouldn't mind but I've paid a lot of money for this. The tiles were from porcelanosa and the fitter is charging me £** sqm.

Thank you everyone for your posts. I appreciate the comments as I know its not just me being fussy now.

Thanks

Michelle

Last edited by a moderator:
J

johnryan

as i and a couple of others mentioned before you'd need to take up the floor to fix it, but even then you'd have cuts by the shower and door walls that were out of parallel. i think bri mentioned that strictly speaking the wall tiles that are out of line would have to come off and be redone. do you know if he used tubbed adhesive for the walls. if so it's not suitable for this application, but on the bright side if he did the tiles could be taken off and used again.

M

Michelle M

No not paid yet. Its 40sq as well so will be a lot. No the tiler was not recommeded by Porcelanosa. I've had a complete bathroom makerover by Wickes. So they have supplied them.

It's about an inch out as well. The room is perfectly square but he's not measured correctly. To be honest I've had the wall built on the right by him to make this ensuite so if its wasn't square it would be his fault as well. But I've measured the distance from wall to wall both ways and its completely perfect.

Would you not pay for any of the tiling if he refuses to not fix the problem?

Here's a close up: photo (6).JPG

Thanks

Michelle

D

Dougs Third Go

No not paid yet. Its 40sq as well so will be a lot. No the tiler was not recommeded by Porcelanosa. I've had a complete bathroom makerover by Wickes. So they have supplied them.

It's about an inch out as well. The room is perfectly square but he's not measured correctly. To be honest I've had the wall built on the right by him to make this ensuite so if its wasn't square it would be his fault as well. But I've measured the distance from wall to wall both ways and its completely perfect.

Would you not pay for any of the tiling if he refuses to not fix the problem?

Here's a close up: View attachment 47468

Thanks

Michelle
measuring the wall both ways and both measurements being the same doesn't make it square Michelle, a parallelogram would do that.

M

Michelle M

Ooops yes just cos the walls are the same length doesn't make it square. Agreed. :)

The adhesive is this tub.

Wickes have contracted all the work out to this bloke - so he has done everything. Tiling, new wall, fitting the suite, shower etc. I had to pay wickes a standard installation price and then he is charging me for the tiling, the new wall, plastering of the ceiling. I have paid half so far. However he was supplied by wickes.

I can see what he says tomorrow, but from the general feeling on here the workmanship is not good in parts.

Thank you!!

photo (7).JPG

M

Michelle M

another point whilst we're at it. I asked about the tiles to be as close together as possible to leave as little grout line as possible. He said he needed to do a minimum of 2mm to stop any damp getting behind the tiles. However this is about 4 mm - so not happy about that either. He said that if i went for 1mm then he wouldn't guarantee his work as damp could get in by the shower. The grout was supposed to be the same colour but on the picture it looks a lot darker. It's not too bad in real life but i am disappointed with the gap size.

T

The D

He is talking rubbish the joint size is nothing to do damp it is to do with expansion. As bri has said with porcelenosa tiles he should have been able to achieve a 2mm joint with no problems A 1mm joint is achievable using a perimeter expansion joint. If a 2mm joint was agreed then why has he used a 4mm spacer IMO that is a hideous joint size on a wall and totally unnecessary. Again it is just my opinion but the tiling is shoddy to say the least the miss matched joints the chipped tile and the lipping tiles on the trim should have been rectified before the job was grouted the fact that he was obviously aware of the problems and did not rectify them speaks volumes.

Reply to Acceptable tiling or not? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, new to forum and first post, after some advice. Recently had the chamber of my fireplace...
Replies
Views
We recently finished a bathroom renovation where the two builders who did the bathroom also did...
Replies
Views
Hi, 1st time tiling, decided our ensuite would benefit from being a wetroom. Quick question, any...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Hi there I’m new to Tile Forum and joined to get professional opinions because I really need...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB