Discuss Acceptable Wall Surfaces For Limestone Tiles 60cm X 40cm X 12mm in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

reglan

Hello,
I have demolished an old bathroom and re-built a new one in natural stone with inner walls comprising of d7 blocks. I want to tile the walls and floors with 60cm x 40cm x12mm limestone tiles. Could you please tell me what preparation is needed for all the surfaces?
We have two stooled walls boarded in hardiback wall panels, and two walls which are at present D7 blocks. I would prefer not to stool the D7 walls, (as it would drastically reduce the bathroom space), so do I have the option of fixing the tiles directly on to the D7's, and if so what preparation and adhesive should I use? All suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

R

reglan

For fear of coming across as thick or stupid, I'm afraid to ask..... But I'm gonna ask anyway. Cuz google is no help.

What are D7 Blocks? is that a certain grade of Breezeblock?
And whats a Stooled wall? I can only guess this is either over studded or boarded?

D7 blocks are Thomas Armstrong solid lightweight blocks 100mm 7.0n
another term for Stooled wall is studded

T

Tile Shop

Ahhh, got it.

Thanks for clearing that up :)

The blocks can be tiled onto directly but only in dry areas. Hardie Backer would be a better surface, and it can be applied directly to the blocks without the need for studs. Prime with BAL APD and then BAL Singlepart Flexible or Rapidset Flexible to stick them up (spread the adhesive, not dot'n'dab ). Then after taping the joints, it can be tiled straight onto (tank with either BAL Tank-it or Ardex WPC if its going to be a wet area..... NOT BAL WP1 as there would be a concern of it not being able to hold the weight of the limestone).

For fixing the limestone,White Rapidset Flexible is best as it will bleed less moisture into the tiles (which with a slow set adhesive, can cause the limestone to darken, which has happened to a few people in recent weeks)

So you'll have the additional thickness of the boards (12mm), but not the studs.

Other makes of primer (acrylic) and addy (cement S1) are available, its just that i'm more familiar with the BAL versions and this is their recommended method.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

Italy

Ahhh, got it.

Thanks for clearing that up :)

The blocks can be tiled onto directly but only in dry areas. Hardie Backer would be a better surface, and it can be applied directly to the blocks without the need for studs. Prime with BAL APD and then BAL Singlepart Flexible or Rapidset Flexible to stick them up (spread the adhesive, not dot'n'dab ). Then after taping the joints, it can be tiled straight onto (tank with either BAL Tank-it or Ardex WPC if its going to be a wet area..... NOT BAL WP1 as there would be a concern of it not being able to hold the weight of the limestone).

For fixing the limestone,White Rapidset Flexible is best as it will bleed less moisture into the tiles (which with a slow set adhesive, can cause the limestone to darken, which has happened to a few people in recent weeks)

So you'll have the additional thickness of the boards (12mm), but not the studs.

Other makes of primer (acrylic) and addy (cement S1) are available, its just that i'm more familiar with the BAL versions and this is their recommended method.
if a book. has 100 pages.
Paul. know 101 pages.
know. a page. in more than a book ;)
bravo

R

reglan

Hello Paul,
Can you now suggest a non silicone based sealant for un polished limestone tiles, (60cm x40cm x 12mm), which will impregnate, but not change the colour of the tile?
The products suggested to me are,
Ultimate Stone Sealer, by Stonecare
Meta Crème, (a dry based cream)
Lithofin Stainstop W

I would be grateful for any advice or views on these on these products, or can you suggest better alternatives?
The sealant is necessary for not only the floor and walls, but a walk in shower area.

Many thanks for your help!
Raglan

T

Tile Shop

Never even heard of the Meta Creme..... The only other one I can add to the above list is the LTP Mattstone H20. This is the only one I have used and even that was only a showroom display. It was on Tumbled Travertine which is very similar material and didn't change the colour. Cleaned them up with Grimex, let it dry, gave it two coats before grouting and a further coat after grouting followed by a good buffin'. Looked ok for an amateur job :)

All natural stone should be properly cleaned before anything is added as they can still be quite powdery and chalky. Applying the sealer directly to that without cleaning them, will give you a small amount of variation in colour. So if cleaned correctly beforehand there should be no alteration.

I think you'll find that if you were to put this to a vote, most on here would highly recommend the Lithofin Stainstop over anything else. You can also get some good advise from @Lithofin BOB . But at the end of the day, a water based sealer is a water based sealer. Much of a muchness and do the same job.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Hampshire
If you wanted a polymer based , water based product our stain stop Eco would be better suited to a limestone ,Stain stop W is for harder denser stones. All the above are suitable.

If you are sealing a wet area the solvent MN stain stop would be perfect for this, but may change the colour slightly. Not always dependant on stone structure .

Also with the cleaning, if you pre clean your tiles you will need to extend your dry days before impregnating.
Paul , the meta cream is a dry treat product, cream based impregnator.

R

reglan

If you wanted a polymer based , water based product our stain stop Eco would be better suited to a limestone ,Stain stop W is for harder denser stones. All the above are suitable.

If you are sealing a wet area the solvent MN stain stop would be perfect for this, but may change the colour slightly. Not always dependant on stone structure .

Also with the cleaning, if you pre clean your tiles you will need to extend your dry days before impregnating.

Many thanks for responding to my query about sealants for limestone, and all your advice both Bob and Paul.
I decided to go with the Lithofin Stain Stop MN Eco, which seems to tick all the boxes. I've really appreciated

Many thanks for responding to my query about sealants for limestone, and all your advice both Bob and Paul.
I decided to go with the Lithofin Stain Stop MN Eco, which seems to tick all the boxes. I've really appreciated
all the time you have taken to help me, so thank you once again

Last edited by a moderator:

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Hampshire
The key to the longevity of this area will be your maintenance, use the correct daily weekly cleaner, this will look after the impregnator,we have easy care or something stone specific. If you can towel up any loose water after use, this will save any possible water marking or staining, key to your Eco , good saturation of 15-20 min per section before removing excess( buff fully dry) leave 24 hours to fully cure prior to grouting after application and then test your grout release before you do the whole area.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Acceptable Wall Surfaces For Limestone Tiles 60cm X 40cm X 12mm in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Good day all. My daughter has asked me to tile a cooker splashback in her kitchen. They've...
Replies
Views
I am planning to tile bathroom with large porcelain tiles 1200x600 over water-resistant backer...
Replies
Views
Hello, i hope someone can give me some advice please. I’m planning on tiling our bathroom walls...
Replies
Views
I am planning to lay 600mm x 600mm x 20mm slate on to an anhydrite screed. It is a very thick...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB