UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Accidental Injuries At Work Or Home in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

GazTech

When starting out as newbie,had angle grinder clamped in workmate cutting ceramic tiles...the carborundum disc shattered and sliced across my thumb. What a bloody mess.....was only next door to Chorley hospital so went to A & E and had it cleaned with a brush(scrubbed) and stitched up. Went back to customers house and it looked like there had been a murder ! got a really good scar from that day...I borrowed some cash and bought a wet saw for my next job!
other injuries include...slashed with stanley knife....whacking fingers with hammers....kneeling on nails.....sawing across knuckles and twising ankles jumping off worktops lol.....oh and cracking head open around extractor hoods with the mitred pelmets, ..Oh and once pinned to the wall by the customers 21 yr old daughter....was sore for days!!:wink_smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpygrouter

When starting out as newbie,had angle grinder clamped in workmate cutting ceramic tiles...the carborundum disc shattered and sliced across my thumb.What a bloody mess.....was only next door to Chorley hospital so went to A and E and had it cleaned with a brush(scrubbed) and stitched up.Went back to customers house and it looked like there had been a murder ! got a really good scar from that day...I borrowed some cash and bought a wet saw for my next job!other injuries include...slashed with stanley knife....whacking fingers with hammers....kneeling on nails.....sawing across knuckles and twising ankles jumping off worktops lol.....oh and cracking head open around extractor hoods with the mitred pelmets
Whacked my head twice yesterday on one of the herbs and spices holders form Ikea screwed to the wall, caught it really well on the corner. First time I felt angry, second time really angry........and stupid.:sad_smile:
I was re attaching skirting after my floor was tiled.

Grumpy

PS bled a bit as well!!

G

GazTech

bit like this gazza.......dave..
Similar...luckily just the thumb
icon14.gif

V

Varley

Was doing the final cut of the job, had been a long day. quickly marked out the cut and off I went to my wet cutter. Had packed my safety glasses away so didn't bother getting them back out, only one cut left, what could happen.

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!...thats what happened.

Got a bit of glaze in my eye, oh yes, it effing hurt! Every time I blinked it hurt, ran to a mirror to see my eye was bleeding a little, every time I blinked it was cutting my eye ball. Had to keep my eye shut.

Got a lift to the eye infirmary where they clamped my head still, clamped my eyelid open and dipped a cotton bud in anti-biotic cream, shoved the cotton bud right into my eye and did a full 360 around my eyeball, (at this point I thought I was going to throw up as I have a bit of a thing about my eyes). He had to do this 3 times as he couldn't tell if he got it as the glaze was hard to see, well actually he couldn't see it at all.

After that he gave me a lecture about wearing my safety glasses, which I listened to like a child being told off by his teacher then sent me home with some drops.

Was the most painful and horrifying thing ever, I thought I was going to be left blinded when I initially saw my eye ball bleeding.

WEAR YOUR GLASSES!!!

G

GazTech

Was doing the final cut of the job, had been a long day. quickly marked out the cut and off I went to my wet cutter. Had packed my safety glasses away so didn't bother getting them back out, only one cut left, what could happen.

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!...thats what happened.

Got a bit of glaze in my eye, oh yes, it effing hurt! Every time I blinked it hurt, ran to a mirror to see my eye was bleeding a little, every time I blinked it was cutting my eye ball. Had to keep my eye shut.

Got a lift to the eye infirmary where they clamped my head still, clamped my eyelid open and dipped a cotton bud in anti-biotic cream, shoved the cotton bud right into my eye and did a full 360 around my eyeball, (at this point I thought I was going to throw up as I have a bit of a thing about my eyes). He had to do this 3 times as he couldn't tell if he got it as the glaze was hard to see, well actually he couldn't see it at all.

After that he gave me a lecture about wearing my safety glasses, which I listened to like a child being told off by his teacher then sent me home with some drops.

Was the most painful and horrifying thing ever, I thought I was going to be left blinded when I initially saw my eye ball bleeding.

WEAR YOUR GLASSES!!!
In all my career I have and will always wear glasses to protect when using wet saw,your eyes are one of your best portable tools ....look after them !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I

IvegotsTILE

Me and my boss were cutting composit panels on a roof for a new B&Q,the grinder kept snatching,told him to be careful it snatched one more time and went straight across his thigh I then had to carry him down and take him to hospital.
Two days later were having dinner around the van and it starts to rain,2 lads jump in the side door as my mate jumps in the passenger seat,the lads in the side door slam the door shut right on my mates finger taking the top half of his middle finger clean off,**** loads of blood everywhere.
Never had any bad accidents myself at work(touch wood) but have almost faleen off roofs many a time,no way you'd survive one of them falls

P

penno

Few years back (before i tiled) was patrolling in northern ireland, spent most of the days walking though fields and climbing over barbed/electric fences. Barbed wire fences used to always catch and rip your combats, used to put your foot on top of them and spring yourself over, was a pain cause fences used to shake like crazy resulting in your leg shaking (disco leg). Anyway a lad who was patrolling with us was a short arse and used to climb up the fence turn around at the top and climb back down the other side. Once when turning the crotch of his pants got caught on a barb at the top of the fence. Trying to free it with one hand , clutching with the other and about 60lb on his back in weight resulted in him slipping off the fence. Barb went straight into his scrotum at the bottom and carried on to the top, split his sack right open. Blood everywhere we took his pants down to the sight of an open sack showing 2 fresh walnuts out of there bag. Was funny later though, still gets the **** took out of him now :)

C

CLAYS TILES

Few years back (before i tiled) was patrolling in northern ireland, spent most of the days walking though fields and climbing over barbed/electric fences. Barbed wire fences used to always catch and rip your combats, used to put your foot on top of them and spring yourself over, was a pain cause fences used to shake like crazy resulting in your leg shaking (disco leg). Anyway a lad who was patrolling with us was a short arse and used to climb up the fence turn around at the top and climb back down the other side. Once when turning the crotch of his pants got caught on a barb at the top of the fence. Trying to free it with one hand , clutching with the other and about 60lb on his back in weight resulted in him slipping off the fence. Barb went straight into his scrotum at the bottom and carried on to the top, split his sack right open. Blood everywhere we took his pants down to the sight of an open sack showing 2 fresh walnuts out of there bag. Was funny later though, still gets the **** took out of him now :)

i've got tears in my eyes:cry_smile:

Reply to Accidental Injuries At Work Or Home in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

B
Hi all, First time here, and I am after a little bit of advice and some second opinions. We...
Replies
Views
J
Hi everyone I've done several trades across construction, and the thing I struggle most with is...
Replies
Views
J
ive been tiling for over 33yrs and in that time ive had some interesting jobs and worked for...
Replies
Views
I have a job that I can no longer do and the client has asked me to find someone who is more...
Replies
Views
S
Morning everyone I seem to be in a bit of a situation at the current site I'm working on and...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.