Discuss Adcive for laying slate floor tiles in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

B

bcurtis

Hello,

Iive bought slate floor tiles and was just wondering how easy they are to lay??

When i was in topps tiles buying grout for my wall tiles i was quizzing the bloke about laying slate tiles. He was telling me not to bother as they are a nightmare to cut, my toilet and sink won't sit level and you've to treat them before you lay them, then after i've layed them then i have to seal them.

Can anybody tell me if what i've been told is right and since i'm a novice whether i'd be better laying normal tiles or even vinyl???

Cheers

D

dingo

It's going down onto my old tile floor which is so stuck down i can't remove it!! I don't know the grade, but they weren't expenisve so probably not the best quality, but they are all labelled between 10-12mm thick.

If slate is such a pain to cut and lay i'd prob be better off laying normal tiles or even good vinyl.
as others have said, there are some great slate effect ceramics out there, slate is best left to a pro unless your a very confident amature:thumbsup::thumbsup:

O

oldgit

i have black brazillian slate throughout the whole down stairs of my house and they look great,they need a top up of impregnator or sealer as they are looking a little flat.
they are good for thickness and size and dont flake at all.
most of the stuff ive seen in topps is crappy chinese slate.
having said all that and price is not a massive issue then forget ceramics COLORKER do some amazing porcelain slate effect stuff the best ive ever seen,if it had been out when i bought my slate i would without doubt gone for the COLORKER slate effect,the repeater is around 15mts i believe.
ive not laid them but there stuff is normally top quality for size and bowing,some of these tiles are are about 900mm x 450mm.

R

rhyd4

go with the slate.. 1st sort the slate into stages thicker to thin, lay the thicker ones 1st and then lay the thiner ones last increesing your trowl size as you go or just increase the adhesive amount, whichever to get a good level floor.
use a single part flexible adhesive.
seal with a good sealer and grout, wash the slate off quick as they tend to suck the moistue of the grout faster than ceramic, then seal again to finnish.
before the last seal look for toe stubbers if present and chisel the bit off, you will never get a bowling green but thats the whole effect
wet cutter only aswell

good luck and post some pics:thumbsup:

D

Dave Ramsden

Slate flies down but only if you know what you are doing... The prep has to be perfect! Even if this is the case you will still find yourself packing up here and there. I personally never find the time to seal/treat slate before fitting and this always creates more of an effort when giving a final clean.
Everyone works with their own methods really.

General rule of thumb is,
- Flexi addy
- Back skim each tile before laying
- Keep EVERYTHING as clean as possible at all times
- Try to keep foot traffic after setting to a minimum
- I cut everything outside with just an angle grinder
- Apply sealers with a foam roller and used clean dry rags to finish off
- Always make sure everything is dry before applying any sealers

Hope this helps a bit...

D

doug boardley

use gauged slate as simple as setting normal tile, on concrete ? or wood? I really like stone tech enhancer pro takes time to dry tough stuff. wash well 1 coat to seal tile grought let cure finish coat ungauged slate is a art to lay but I love the jagged face I know you hate this one Dan but use lash clips on ungauged it pulls the face up flush just use a half inch trowel
do you get many breakages James, after it's been subject to foot traffic?

W

windy

hi did my own slate floor some weeks back,400/400 it was indian slate it said it was calibrated but i still found them to vary.so i sorted them out laid the thickist in centre and worked out.I used a flexible floor adhesive and flexible dark grey grout.I must say you have to work very cleanly.But it looks fantastic thats not me saying that people who have seen it say.Got some advice on sealing them from the chaps on here i ended up using lithiolin slate impregnater and it works a treat.ps i would remove any obsticles in the way to make it easier

A

Alberta Stone

Hello,

Iive bought slate floor tiles and was just wondering how easy they are to lay??

When i was in topps tiles buying grout for my wall tiles i was quizzing the bloke about laying slate tiles. He was telling me not to bother as they are a nightmare to cut, my toilet and sink won't sit level and you've to treat them before you lay them, then after i've layed them then i have to seal them.

Can anybody tell me if what i've been told is right and since i'm a novice whether i'd be better laying normal tiles or even vinyl???

Cheers
Slate is not a problem to cut, but there are many kinds, you just need a good blade designed for stone.
DeWalt makes a good blade, I just got a dewalt wet saw as my target cratered and the stock blade cuts through slate quite nicely as well as travartine.
Slate, being a natural product comes in all kinds, some are perfectly flat and laying them level is no different than tile or granite, others are wavey and bent and require lots of chiseling (after installing) to make them proper,
To make your sink set level you need to choose which pieces you will use around the sink.
I usually pull the worst bent pieces aside and use them for cuts.

The slate doesn't need to be sealed before laying.
Just use a sponge and water and clean the thinset from the face of the slate as you go.

If they are really uneven you just need to vary the amount of thinset you put under them.
Always backbutter.

I like slate. Work with it often.

Attachments

• HPIM0981.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 103
T

Time's Ran Out

Mr B Curtis - As this post is almost 3 months old I was wondering how you got on?
Did you go for slate?
Reading through the posts it would seem that the opinions tend to agree that the slate choice is not for the novice but for those that do fix slate it is a fantastic product - myself included.
Done properly it is in a league of its own!. View attachment 3611

Update please!
John.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bcurtis

Hey, I am actually just about to start now that i have a week of work....have been working away a lot for last couple of months so never had enough time to make a start and finish it within day or two so didn't want to start and be rushed.

Thanks for all the posts and advice....i am going to give the slate a go....may as well since i've already bought it. Didn't get it from topps got it from internet, but didn't pay much for it so it'll be cheap stuff.

One question i do have...what size of spacers do i use?? My mate said 5mm to allow for any parts of existing floor that are uneven.

I'm planning to lay it in staggered formation rather than grid....think staggered looks nicer. Anything i need to watch out for laying this way??

The one thing i'm a bit concerned by is the new height of my toilet and sink when placed on top of the slate as obviously water pipes...waste pipes etc are already in place so would it be better to try and cut around these so i don't have to worry about having to piddle around with new pipes etc??

D

david campbell

Hey, I am actually just about to start now that i have a week of work....have been working away a lot for last couple of months so never had enough time to make a start and finish it within day or two so didn't want to start and be rushed.

Thanks for all the posts and advice....i am going to give the slate a go....may as well since i've already bought it. Didn't get it from topps got it from internet, but didn't pay much for it so it'll be cheap stuff.

One question i do have...what size of spacers do i use?? My mate said 5mm to allow for any parts of existing floor that are uneven.

I'm planning to lay it in staggered formation rather than grid....think staggered looks nicer. Anything i need to watch out for laying this way??

The one thing i'm a bit concerned by is the new height of my toilet and sink when placed on top of the slate as obviously water pipes...waste pipes etc are already in place so would it be better to try and cut around these so i don't have to worry about having to piddle around with new pipes etc??

5mm spacers should be fine,it's really personal choice depending on the size of the tiles,just make sure you set out well before you start as this will help avoid any fiddly cuts around toilet,pipes etc.maybe try to lay the floor dry(with no adhesive) first to see how it looks before you stick it down,and try to work as clean as you can to avoid any staining,and make sure you follow any instructions on sealers about times for wiping of any excess residue:thumbsup:

B

bcurtis

Ok have laid my floor now.....done good job at least i think so!! lol Going to grout 2morrow but what colour you recommend for my slate tiles?? I've got dark grey........but i'm thinking of taking that back and getting white....the bloke in the tile shop said use dark grey...so i bought it......is there any reason i shouldn't use white??? Does is look crap?? Any pics of either to help me decide would be good. will post a few pics of my finished bathroom.....my first ever big diy job i might add as well......in a few days so you experts can cast your eagle eyes....cheers

T

Time's Ran Out

Mr Curtis - Hope I caught you in time!

White in a slate floor!!!!!! :thumbsdown:- and I thought you had style in going for slate in the first place!.

Cement grey would be OK if your tiles are a darker plain slate in Grey.
While doing this thread I had an image of the floor being a multicolour slate in which case I would have chosen Sandstone.

Have you remembered to seal the slate and is it clean and dry.

Timeless John.

B

bcurtis

John....have opted for the grey grout have read that white will be a nightmare to keep clean.

I havn't sealed or grouted yet cause i just can't seem to clean the slate properly.....have been cleaning it since yesterday with just water and a sponge....am thinking of maybe using sugar soap that i have to see if that helps.

Any ideas anyone......there was tile cleaner wipes in b&q....anyone used these they any use?? I was always under the assumption that you shouldn't use anything but clean water and a sponge to clean slate prior to sealing it as it will mark/stain the slate...that true??

Reply to Adcive for laying slate floor tiles in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I’ve a fairly basic question I thinks, hope someone can help me out with. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB