UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Adding underfloor heating will add ??? to the height of the floor!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Aspesim

Hi

I have floor joists first (with extra noggins) then 18mm WBP plywood going down which will be screwed down, then 6mm Hardie Backer Board before the tiles go on. With the current set up it would be approx 17mm above the currnet level. There is approx 15mm dip from the hallway into the bathroom so it would ballance itself out...

Question is now "The Boss" is thinking about underfloor heating as well. How much more would it add to the levels? Do you need a special board to reflect the heat upwards, or is it just a mat?

Thanks for you help and advise as always

M

Mike

i 'sink' the sensor into the cement board so it doesn't add any height to the floor . you could use insulation boards instead of cement boards to enhance the performance of the ufh and it's highly advisable to cover the ufh cables with slc (self levelling compound) to prevent damage to the cable and prevents any cable not being covered. i always use mapei renovation screed which is flexible and usable over wood.

Q

Qwerty

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Aspesim

Hi guys

Thanks for the advice. I have purchased Warmup loose cable and 6mm Warmup insulation boards.

With everything within these help forums too much info can be dangerous, overwelming or in my case confusing... :mad2:

Would this installation be wrong?
Bal Prime all sides of the plywood
18mm WBP then screwed into the joists
Tank plywood with Bal Tanking system
Using tile addy install Hardie Backer Boards and mecanically fix
Using tile addy Install insulation boards
Install warmup cable
Using tile addy install tiles

I would avoid slc like the plaque if I can (You'll think it would be a simple job but not for me... I don't know why:yikes:!!!!)

Cheers
Simon

Q

Qwerty

Would this installation be wrong?

Bal Prime all sides of the plywood
18mm WBP then screwed into the joists
Tank plywood with Bal Tanking system
Using tile addy install Hardie Backer Boards and mecanically fix
Using tile addy Install insulation boards
Install warmup cable
Using tile addy install tiles
I would avoid slc like the plaque if I can (You'll think it would be a simple job but not for me... I don't know why:yikes:!!!!)

I would do it this way.......
  1. Bal Prime all sides of the plywood
  2. 18mm WBP then screwed into the joists
  3. Using tile addy Install insulation boards and mecanically fix (feel free to tape joints to make floor fully waterproof)
  4. Install warmup cable
  5. Cover cable with SLC (it really isnt as scary as you may think!)
  6. Using tile addy install tiles
You do not need hardibacker & Marmox...... if it is a tanked floor you are trying to acheive, then I would forget the hardi and BAL tanking and opt straight for the Marmox with joints taped. This will be 100% waterproof, will serve as an excellent backer board and result in quick warmup times. Oh, and Marmox is lighter, easier to cut and less hassle to use :thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Adding underfloor heating will add ??? to the height of the floor!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi there, hoping for some help here. I am about to install a small (2.2x2.5m approx) area of...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
I'm about to start on an upstairs wetroom. There will be wet underfloor heating going in via...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm after some advice. Need to screed above my underfloor heating pipes. Some rooms have...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.