UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Additional tanking required ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

duncan_ellison

Hello,

This is my first post here.

I'm doing a wetroom for the first time and have tried to follow all the advice given here before posting.

I've tanked the floor of the room and up to 100mm around the walls using Contour Bitumen Self Adhesive as advocated by a number of posters here.

The walls are Aquapanel on stand off battens and glued together using genuine Knauf adhesive as recommended.

The tiles will be plain white gloss ceramics (from Homebase) held with waterproof latex adhesive.

I was going to leave it at that, but some posts I saw seem to advocate additional liquid tanking on the Aquapanels. Does anyone think this is really necessary ?

Duncan

D

duncan_ellison

Hi Guys, Thanks for the quick replies.

Seems like Jay is looking at a different 'Aquapanel', the one I'm using is an engineered cement board product made by Knauf.

I gave the tanking membrane company (Contour) a ring and they said that as long as the membrane comes up about 100mm and forms a complete 'tray' there should be no need for additional tanking on the Aquapanels.

So the consensus seems to be that it should be OK without additional tanking.

Bri : I've not chosen the tile adhesive yet but it will be a one part mix-it-yourself flexible water resistant variety, not the ready mixed stuff.

I do have another question about fixing Aquapanels, but I'll start a new thread on that.

Best ... Duncan

I

Ian

Cant argue with them then its there product looks like i was wrong sorry

I'll be honest Jay, the post you put up got me really worried as I've fitted 4 wet rooms in recent months without tanking the boards, that's why I phoned them. I'll get hold of an offcut and see how long it takes for water to pass through it (if it does). If it needed tanking then there isn't really a market for it, because you may as well buy cheaper plaster board and tank that.

J

jay

I'll be honest Jay, the post you put up got me really worried as I've fitted 4 wet rooms in recent months without tanking the boards, that's why I phoned them. I'll get hold of an offcut and see how long it takes for water to pass through it (if it does). If it needed tanking then there isn't really a market for it, because you may as well buy cheaper plaster board and tank that.

Thanks the other post i thought was a clear answer but when i re read it its prob not clear

M

Mike

G

Gazebo

aquapanel is water resistant, meaning it will not expand or contract, break down or crumble when moisture/water is added to d it.

It is not waterproof like a wellington boot, hence it is only suitable for timber framed walls, (stud) they then state that the moisture that enters the board can then disperse in the stud cavity.

if you want waterproof then you need to tank it.

to be honest aquapanel that is fixed with correct screws and jointed correctly will suffice in most situations.

if you want real peace of mind then use marmox/wedi and joint it.

or plasterboard and a liquid membrane.

ps. be sure not to breath in when cutting aquapanel.......

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Additional tanking required ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

First off, thank you to everyone that posts on this forum, although this is only my second post...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all, I'm not much of a forum poster, and am also new here to this one. Additionally, in...
Replies
Views
GoneGuy
G
S
Hi again Last week several of you helped me out with advice for a wetroom floor. There were a...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D
O
It feels like there is a constant asking about the suitability of cement board in wet areas...
Replies
Views
RichBD
R
Looking for a bit of advice re wetroom installation. I have completed a few wet rooms and have...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.