Discuss Adhesive and Grout for Bathroom tiling in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

L

love_tiling

Hi all...this is my first post..
I had asked for quote from a tiler for tiling my bathroom.
The bathroom is 28sqm.
There are presently tiles just around the corner bath, shower cubicle and around a vanity set. There are floor boards on the floor.

The work split up is given below
1. Remove the tiles around the bath and vanity unit and shower cubicle
2. Wall tiling up to ceiling and Floor tiling
3. Replace the radiator with Towel rail

Tiles are provided by me

Tiling adhesives and grout: £225
Extras (ply-board, whale bag etc) = £150
Plumbing = £200
Labour (removing tiles around bath, vanity unit and shower cubicle, removing the toilet,tiling the wall and floor, re-fitting the shower door) = £1075
Total = £1938 inc VAT

Is this quote fair?
thanks very much

G

grumpygrouter

A lot depends where you are, what the tiles are you are having fixed and what conditions are like to work in. You have given a figure I assume you have obtained from an estimate, is that correct?

My suggestion would be to get a couple more estimates for the work and see how they tie in.

It is not really possible (or fair) for someone here on the forums to give you an idea of cost without seeing the actual job.

Welcome to the forums, glad you found us.:thumbsup:

A

Alberta Stone

Without seeing the job it is most difficult to say.
Every job has it's differences and the current rates are a guide which slide according to circumstances.
If the tiler has a good reputation for work and ethic than pay him what he asks.
It is like going to the dentist, when he gives a quote on your dental work you can find another dentist, but nobody haggles with them, the price is the price.
If it is too steep then one finds another dentist.

G

grumpygrouter

thanks for your reply. Yes I got the split up from an estimate. I had got another estimate along the same lines and the quote seems to be the same. I live in Berkshire. My worry is that it works out to about £68 per sqm...is that ok?
And is the price that I have been quoted for Adhesives and grout and plumbing seems reasonable?
thanks
If you calculate your estimate based purely on the area then on the surface £68/m2 seems expensive. If however you break it down further and just look at the labour charge of £1075 this brings the metre rate down to about £38/m2. When you consider that included in that rate is labour to remove the tiles, make good any damage to the walls and also remove toilet and refit the shower doors then it starts to become quite good value in my opinion.

The cost for adhesives would depend on what is used. Costs can vary wildly throughout the country. If for instance you have a timber floor and the tiler intends using something like BAL Fastflex this retails (in Topps for instance) at around £76 per set. 8m2 of floor (for instance) would need 2 sets so there you have £152 for that alone.

As for the plumbing costs, I am afraid I can't help you there. I don't do plumbing.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Adhesive and Grout for Bathroom tiling in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are redoing our main bathroom and looking for a second opinion on tanking. We have bought...
Replies
Views
I recently got several loose/hollow tiles rebonded on my bathroom floor. Having left with...
Replies
Views
Hey all, New to the forum so go easy ;) I've finished tiling my bathroom floor with honed...
Replies
Views
I started removing the tiles in my bathroom today and the majority of the plaster has come off...
Replies
Views
Tikkaaa
T
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB