Discuss Adhesive not gone off in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

Handyeire

Got myself a pallet of adhesive (check other thread for make) and got it at a good rate, hence why i bought a pallet. Received it yesterday and after using another brand day before, i tiled the rest of kitchen floor. Went in today and adhesive still soft and gritty. Ive been wondering is it either bad stuff or because i didnt prime the floor. I know some will say you always need to prime floor but i havent primed floors before and have never had no problems.

I ordered 2 different type of adhesive and used the cheaper version yesterday but today after noticing this problem, i laid 2 tiles in both adhesives and going to leave till tomorrow and check see if other doesnt set aswell.

Im wondering has anyone ever had similar experiences with not priming floor or with some adhesives.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Liverpool
Have a look when it was manufactured. With Tilemaster for example this is the last 4 digits of the serial number. It may be that it was made in the summer so manufactured for use in warmer weather. Personally I always prime, this gives a slightly longer working time but the overall set time should always be what's quoted on the bag. Agree with above, temperature is normally main factor in setting times.

H

Handyeire

A few things can hinder setting time but mostly it is temperature , was it rapid set or standard set ?

Standard set.

Have a look when it was manufactured. With Tilemaster for example this is the last 4 digits of the serial number. It may be that it was made in the summer so manufactured for use in warmer weather. Personally I always prime, this gives a slightly longer working time but the overall set time should always be what's quoted on the bag. Agree with above, temperature is normally main factor in setting times.

It was made in may14. As for priming, I have done it in the past but mostly don't and have never had one complaint yet. It is Turkish so made in high temps, I'm wondering has this anything to do with it.

S

steve-tiler

Standard set in cold temperatures always take alot longer can be about three days to fully set in my experience.
I done a cafe floor a few years ago that was getting done up, the builder supplied the materials and it was standard set and was nearly a week before i could get to grout it.

He kept going on about how long it was taking but I told him plainly that he should have loosened the purse strings and got rapid set!

I never did any work with him again....

S

Sara’s forc

Got myself a pallet of adhesive (check other thread for make) and got it at a good rate, hence why i bought a pallet. Received it yesterday and after using another brand day before, i tiled the rest of kitchen floor. Went in today and adhesive still soft and gritty. Ive been wondering is it either bad stuff or because i didnt prime the floor. I know some will say you always need to prime floor but i havent primed floors before and have never had no problems.

I ordered 2 different type of adhesive and used the cheaper version yesterday but today after noticing this problem, i laid 2 tiles in both adhesives and going to leave till tomorrow and check see if other doesnt set aswell.

Im wondering has anyone ever had similar experiences with not priming floor or with some adhesives.
Yes. I found out. It’s out of date

Reply to Adhesive not gone off in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
I got 100 square metres of tiles laid 18months ago. after 7 months i noticed tiles starting to...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB