Discuss Adhesive performance on exposed decks. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Geoff Hunt

I am looking into a defect of cracking ceramic tiles on an exposed cast concrete deck which is used as a balcony. The deck is exposed beneath and the building is on the coast so exposure to salt water and freezing conditions is high. The initial complaint is of leaks to the area below and then cracking. On further investigation the tiles, when tapped, sound hollow as if laid on dots and dabs. It was the initial theory that the tiles had been laid incorrectly (ie on dabs) but on lifting a tile the adhesive was clearly laid to a full bed. However it was very crumbly and clearly not adhering. The deck was completed in 2008. I have to try to determin if this is a design or workmanship issue but I am mindful that the adhesive may not have performed as expected.
I am aware that last winter the deep frosts have caused a number of tile and slab failures and I wanted to gauge opinion from the forum as to whether this is a significant factor in respect to adhesive breakdown. I would also be grateful of any opinions as to the type of adhesive that should be reasonably specified in such an environment and finally the anticipated movement detail for a balcony 6.5m by 10m

The adhesive was granfix 1 part and the tiles were 10mm ceramic laid over asphalt.
Any observations please?

hi i use granfix products and touch wood have never had any problems ,correct me if i am wrong but
are you saying the tiles are ceramic and if so they should never have been laid whre the weather can
get at them,worth checking whether they are just ceramic tiles first,if so the frost may have blown them and then got through to the adhesive which then may have caused the problem,sounds like wrong tiles to me

G

Geoff Hunt

Thank you all for your comments so far. If I can clarify some points. The layer below the tiles is the Granfix adhesive and then below this is a two coat asphalt then a concrete screed and then the concrete deck. I must admit I was surprised to hear that the tiles were ceramic but I understand they were chosen as there were external grade. My questions now are:
1. Is it reasonable for a designer to select ceramic tiles be used externally on a pedestrian deck?
2 If the deck is 10m by 6m how where and what form should the expansion take. (I would like some reference to BS 5387 if possible)
3. The adhesive manufacture seems to suggest that the product will disintegrate if it gets wet. Is this a common understanding within the industry? Are there products that dont do this.
Thanks again for your assistance

A

astute1

Hi just a couple of thoughts from down here in NZ, we don't have the extreme temps you have in the UK so thats not an area of expertise that I can help with, but I have tiled over asphalt or (torch on) bitumen membranes from time to time. There are very specific adhesives required to do this. So the first thing to do is Identify the membrane and you will find that there will be only one or two adhesives that will carry a warranty when used on the membrane. Often we find they are manufactured by the membrane company. And they are generally damn awful to use. You know the ones, throw away your mixing paddle and trowels after use. Hope this helps

G

Geoff Hunt

I have some recent news. The manufacturer has confirmed that the adhesive breaks down if it gets wet. I find this confusing given it was advertised as water resistent and suitable for swimming pools. While I find the design is weak I cannot see how the material selection is at fault if the designer relied on the description of the technical leaflet. Part of the problem is that it is the ashpalt that is supposed to be the water proofing not the tiles yet the gullies are in line with the tiles. This means than water cannot filter to the outlets once it is past the tiles. I feel this is one of those OK in theory designs compounded by an OK in theory material. I think the designer should have had more regard for the level of exposure of the viewing gallery (it is exposed underneath) and should have made the drainage consistent with the principle he set up.

G

Geoff Hunt

I am told it was granfix Flexible 1 part Granfix tech info 001.jpg photo 1.jpg

J

jay

So i take it has cracked on the sections or joins.These joins should of been carried through the tile surface (as a movement joint or expansion joint)
The other thing you may want to consider is most pre cast slabs are formed in boxing molds witch are coated in a release agent (to save the boxing) was the slabs cleaned before tiling started

hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Adhesive performance on exposed decks. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I have recently laid around 30msq of porcelain floor tiles in our kitchen. The tiles have been...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
We are having some issues with our newly laid tiles. Within several weeks of being laid, we...
Replies
Views
David John
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Adhesive performance on exposed decks.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.