Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Adhesive query for large format tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

SteveST4S

Hi all - I am new to this forum so hello to everybody :thumbsup:

I am doing my own bathroom and will be using Topps Zamora tiles [600x300x10mm] which I think are porcelain [porcellanato?].

I did buy a load of Unibond Tile on Walls waterproof tile adhesive [tubbed - before I bough tthe tiles] but after looking through some of the posts I am not sure that this stuff is adequate.

I will be tiling on cement board, fresh plasterboard and old plasterboard with kitchen/bathroom paint on it.

Any recommendations for primer, adhesive and grout and do I need to anything special with the painted surfaces?

Thanks in advance . . .
Steve

G

grumpygrouter

Hi Steve, welcome to the forums. Firstly, you will need something better than the Unibond tubbed stuff! Return it for a refund if you can.

You will need to use a Cement based (powder) flexible adhesive and suitable for pocelain for that size of tile. BAL SPF for example. You should also prime the plasterboard with BAL APD before hand as well.

You haven't said if there is a shower to be tiled. If so I would recommend that you "tank" the shower area to protect the substrate from possible water damage if you get a leak behind the tiles.

The painted surfaces should ideally be sanded back to the plasterboard (paper surface) before you fix the tiles but you may find it quicker and less messy to replace the plasterboard entirely in those areas. This would give the opprtunity to staighten the walls up if they are not flat.

I would hazard a guess and say that you were looking to tile in a Brick Bond pattern with those tiles, if so you really do need a flat surface.

Finally, check out how heavy the tiles are as plasterboard walls will accept up to 32kg/m2 including adhesive and grout safely. Any more than that and you have the potential for the weight to bring down the walls!

Hope that helps

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Phrixos

Hello guys. Newbie here.

Some powdered tile adhesives, like Evostick (Bostic) SPF, contain Hexavalent Chromium. Even a half teaspoon of Chromium VI is lethal (--and it is MOST lethal when ingested--or inhaled--in powdered form! Even at far lower doses, it can cause horrific--and genetic--damage. (That little black X on an orange background covers a multitude of sins.) No way I want to handle that stuff.

Does Bal SPF contain any Chromium VI? If so, I'd appreciate it if anyone could cite any single mix adhesive(s) that are suitable for large tiles and which do not contain this truly dreadful substance.

ATB,
Phrixos

G

grumpygrouter

Hello guys. Newbie here.

Some powdered tile adhesives, like Evostick (Bostic) SPF, contain Hexavalent Chromium. Even a half teaspoon of Chromium VI is lethal (--and it is MOST lethal when ingested--or inhaled--in powdered form! Even at far lower doses, it can cause horrific--and genetic--damage. (That little black X on an orange background covers a multitude of sins.) No way I want to handle that stuff.

Does Bal SPF contain any Chromium VI? If so, I'd appreciate it if anyone could cite any single mix adhesive(s) that are suitable for large tiles and which do not contain this truly dreadful substance.

ATB,
Phrixos
You will find if you read the data sheets, and I believe the packaging on the products, that they contain inhibitors to control Chromium VI. This chemical only becomes a problem if the adhesive is left open to the atmosphere for any extended period of time (months/years). If it was highly dangerous in the form it is being sold, I am sure it would not be allowed. Check out this bal H&S sheet it tells you in there about Chromium VI.:thumbsup:

http://194.223.92.131/pdf/Material ...SDS/BAL_CEMENT_BASED_ADHESIVES_-_SDS10023.pdf

P

Phrixos

...and I believe the packaging on the products,...

...they contain inhibitors to control Chromium VI.

... If it was highly dangerous in the form it is being sold, I am sure it would not be allowed.

Taking the quoted points in reverse order:

Isn't that what the decision-makers at Pacific Gas and the people of Hinkley thought (or wanted to think)?

It's interesting, isn't it, that Evostick OPF contains "inhibitors." Something indeed needs inhibiting. (And what do the inhibitors themselves do?) Felkin, you're a wise man. Wear a mask indeed. (Funny how the advice on the package doesn't include that.) Trouble is, once the dust, with its Cr6, is in a house, it's THERE--to be breathed in, continually, forever, particle by particle, at one's leisure. There's your extended period of time. (A tenth of a teaspoon, guys, and you're in trouble.) Then there's the question of the intermediate future--when the time comes to strip the walls and retile. Cr6--Round Two, with More clouds of Cr6 dust. (I wonder. What's the lifespan of the inhibitor?) What, moreover, of the professional tiler, who is indeed breathing the Cr6 in, continually, over years? That's the thing about dry-mix, cement-based adhesives. Because of their short usage time, you can't get away with just one mix. Dustcloud after dustcloud, its, "mix a bit, tile a bit, mix a bit, tile a bit..."

The people at Hinkley believed the packaging too.

Nice to know that Bal has seen the light. Will investigate. (Any others?)

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Phrixos

G

GazTech

Bal adhesives now do not contain any chromium V1
In response to my previous post which contained a type error, Chromium V1 is used in many of our products at Bal. Apologies for the misleading post, regards the dangers of Chromium V1, unless you eat it, breathe it, or mix it with your drink there are no problems. A safety warning is issued with all products which contain this component.....Gaz

S

Spud

chromium vi is a by product of many industrial processes ,the inhibitors referred to are binders that bind to the chromium vi to stop its harmful effects these binders loose their effectiveness over time hence dates on adhesive bags never use out of date adhesives.so eu directives were passed to enforce adhesive manufactures to limit the amounts of chromium vi in their products so they are at a safe level

Reply to Adhesive query for large format tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

H
Hi all, I am looking for some advise on the following: the adhesive % covering required for...
Replies
Views
Happyvalley123
H
I am planning to lay 600mm x 600mm x 20mm slate on to an anhydrite screed. It is a very thick...
Replies
Views
I recently got several loose/hollow tiles rebonded on my bathroom floor. Having left with...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
I need a bed of between 7 - 15mm for some 6x6 quarry tiles, I can pick up some Mapei large...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Adhesive query for large format tiles
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.