UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Adhesive Thickness in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

wilmslowwhite

I'm midway through a DIY bathroom project and need some guidance. I've been reading through the forum and think I've picked up lots of sounds tips.

1) I am fitting 1000 x 333mm porcelanosa tiles to file to plasterboard. I was going to use a 10mm U notched trowel for this - does this sound ok?

2) The tiles are rectified and I want to use the small spacers 2mm - any problems with that?

3) I think I will need to use bagged adhesive, never used that before, would I be able to get away with a tub of Bal?

4) I may have confused myself but do I need to use any primer on the plasterboards?

5) How thick should I expect the adhesive bed to be once I've applied the tile?

Cheers

D

doug boardley

hi wilmslow, a 10 mm solid bed trowel is good practice as it will give a solid bed although I just tend to use a solid bed trowel in the wet areas. 2mm spacers will be fine with porcelanosa tiles as I find them to be very uniform in size although you'll have to be careful that you don't get any lippage. Bagged adhesive is a must with tiles this size as the adhesive sets by chemical reaction rather than by air. If there's any bare gypsum on your plasterboard that will need to be primed, but if there are no bare edges then it's ok not to prime. Your adhesive bed should compact to about 6mm solid:thumbsup:

W

wilmslowwhite

Welcome to TF. You are being very brave attempting to fit those tiles! I can't add to Doug's post above, but, what are you using to cut the tiles?
I have a cheap electric/table top tile cutter, I was going to buy a new disc for it.

I have fitted some that were 600mm x 300mm, but they were fairly cheap compared to these Porcelanosa ones. I wasn't really too concerned about cutting them (just hanging them was causing me abit of concern), is there something that I need to know about cutting them Bri?

Many thanks for responding, I'm really grateful for your expertise.

D

djg

Hi Wilmslow

You are right, C2TE/C2TF does refer to the type of adhesive. This is defined in British Standards (EN 12004). Google this and you'll find the info.

The first chatracter is the type: Cementitious C, Dispersion (the ready mixed tubbed stuff) D, Reaction Resin (eg Epoxy) R
The number indicates whether the adhesive is improved/modified 2 (eg by adding polymers) or not 1
The T stands for Thixotropic which means it is normally thick/viscous but is more liquid when mixed; this gives the anti-slip characteristic
Then the E is for extended open time / F for fast set

So

C2TE is a Cementitious adhesive with improved characteristics, slip-resistance and extended open time
C2TF is a Fast-setting cementitious adhesive with improved characteristics and slip-resistance

You may see S1 or S2 appended which means deformable / highly deformable - for substrates which flex.

The bags of adhesive will have this spec on them (and there is a similar spec for grouts)

Best of luck

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Adhesive Thickness in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I need advice on score and snap cutting of large porcelain tiles, lets say, over 1000 mm long...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Adhesive Thickness
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.