UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Adhesive under UFH update.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

pjrich

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Ipswich
The thread from yesterday has dissapeared so I thought I'd just let the people who helped me out yesterday know that the customer has decided to go for the less wattage heat mat:hurray:

I spoke to Heat Mat and they said the adhesive is to isolate the mat from the ply so that it doesn't warp it, as the 200w is so powerful.

Anyway problem over,

Cheers :thumbsup:

Only way I know to protect ply from heating exceeding 100W/m2 is to use either a backerboard or decoupling membrane (decoupling will not be as good as backerboard but will help with movement).

Don't see how adhesive isolates ply from heating, if this was the case heat wouldn't be transmitted through the adhesive and then the tiles!!

I'd really like to know the science behind the thinking of adhesive to protect the ply!!

Last edited:
G

Gazzer

Only way I know to protect ply from heating exceeding 100W/m2 is to use either a backerboard or decoupling membrane (decoupling will not be as good as backerboard but will help with movement).

Don't see how adhesive isolates ply from heating, if this was the case heat wouldn't be transmitted through the adhesive and then the tiles!!

I'd really like to know the science behind the thinking of adhesive to protect the ply!!

Its not science, its :001_9898::censored:

J

JamesRB

If they are giving this information out then surely some people are going to follow it and then any failure are on Heat Mats doorstep??

Luckily my customer changed his mind after it was explained but it can cause problems if manufacture's and fitter's advice don't match.

I wonder what they will say when there is a problem and someone comes back to them and says "well i did as you said!"

D

dagger

If they are giving this information out then surely some people are going to follow it and then any failure are on Heat Mats doorstep??

Luckily my customer changed his mind after it was explained but it can cause problems if manufacture's and fitter's advice don't match.

I wonder what they will say when there is a problem and someone comes back to them and says "well i did as you said!"

they will deny they said it!!! if its not in black and white it aint worth s.....e!

J

JamesRB

what is the exact wording on the quote?

I havn't got it with me, the customer just showed it to me. Just said that prior to laying a 2-3mm bed of flexible adhesive should be applied.

Dagger - Not sure if you have misinterpreted what I was saying. I'm not saying I want to take their advise (far from it), what I am saying is that surely if they are telling you to do this, then surely when it fails, its on their heads....

D

dagger

I havn't got it with me, the customer just showed it to me. Just said that prior to laying a 2-3mm bed of flexible adhesive should be applied.

Dagger - Not sure if you have misinterpreted what I was saying. I'm not saying I want to take their advise (far from it), what I am saying is that surely if they are telling you to do this, then surely when it fails, its on their heads....

maybe its my fault, i know you were not going with thier advice, hence this post, all i am saying is if they are making a statement of fact, it should be accurate.. hence "adhesive isolating ply... i ask you!!!!, 200wm2 on ply... poppycock... "

because like you say some peeps will follow it to a tee, and when it goes wrong, they are out of pocket and have a load of hassle, it would be easier on all if they just got thier facts straight!

hope this clears thing up!

Dagger.

J

JamesRB

maybe its my fault, i know you were not going with thier advice, hence this post, all i am saying is if they are making a statement of fact, it should be accurate.. hence "adhesive isolating ply... i ask you!!!!, 200wm2 on ply... poppycock... "

because like you say some peeps will follow it to a tee, and when it goes wrong, they are out of pocket and have a load of hassle, it would be easier on all if they just got thier facts straight!

hope this clears thing up!

Dagger.

Couldn't agree more:thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Adhesive under UFH update.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I’m ripping out a failed existing tiled floor. Tiles had not been back buttered so...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I'm a total tiling beginner having my kitchen/diner redone by builders. The dining area has a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.