UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss advice needed (buying a car) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Tony73

TF
Arms
acton w3, london
Here is the thing guys and girls. i have £3000 budget for a car for my 17,5 year old daughter. My nabour is selling vw fox 1,2l petrol engine. Checked technical data, and found that it burns about 8l per 60miles and about 5l out of town. Sounds alot :yikes: for very very very small car. So PLEASE help!!! What car to buy, that would be small/economical petrol or diesel up to 1,6l engine

Thanks
Mitre Tony73 :mad2:

C

CDS

Couldn't help with purchasing of small cars I'm afraid but saw an interesting article about insuring young drivers....basically it was to insure them in their own name and then to add yourself and your missus as named drivers. Apparently it reduces the 'risk' to the insurance company significantly so premiums drop. Also suggested that fully comp' can sometimes be cheaper than third party so worth trying on a few comparison sites. Sorry completely irrelevent to your original post but thought it might benefit someone!!

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Couldn't help with purchasing of small cars I'm afraid but saw an interesting article about insuring young drivers....basically it was to insure them in their own name and then to add yourself and your missus as named drivers. Apparently it reduces the 'risk' to the insurance company significantly so premiums drop. Also suggested that fully comp' can sometimes be cheaper than third party so worth trying on a few comparison sites. Sorry completely irrelevent to your original post but thought it might benefit someone!!

It was Martin Lewis (MoneyMan) who did it the other day. Another word of advice, if you thought about having you as the main driver and putting your daughter as a named driver then your insurance would be void. Insurance companies have got wise to this happening.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I'm a VW fan. Big time. Not just because they're German and well built, but because they're profitable vehicles. The VW Audi Group (VAG) own Seat, Skoda, Volkswagen, Audi and also own a percentage of if not all of Porsche, Bentley and Bugatti.

You tend to find that if a bloke (or lass) likes VAG, they like them for life. Be it a VW Camper (new or old) or VW Beetle, if they win the lottery they'll perhaps have a Bentley etc, if they then become bankrupt they'll perhaps own a Golf, Fox, Polo, or exuivelent models under their other brands. If they have kids the'll perhaps get an Audi Q7, VW Tourag, etc etc. If they have a midlife crisis they'll get a Porsche, Bentley etc etc

Point being I've found no other brand that has the saem effect on vehicle choice in the UK (I even have Automotive VAG-related websites and forums just because of this fact).

If you buy that Fox 1.2L you'll be investing, as when you come to sell it, you'll get more for it than most other small cars that are similar to it, only due to it being a VAG vehicle which nearly always wipe the floor with second-hand prices when it comes to buy or selling one. Expect to pay a bit more to buy one, but expect to sell it for more than the average comparable car when you sell it.

Insurance seems to be based on vehicle type, usage, area, liability, availability of parts should it need to be repaired via the insurance etc etc etc and VAG look after their brand so ensure that they have vehicles for all types of insurance groups and ensure they keep the group class as low as they can.

The VW Fox is their smallest, cheapest to insure vehicle other than their very recent '"UP!" car which is akin to the Toyota Aygo etc. I bet you 1 trillion dollars (will have to call mini me in on this if I lose this bet mind) that the UP! will be worth more in 12 months than an Aygo that as just driven off the forecourt of Toyota.

Get the fox and don't worry about milage reviews. They're all small cars and they all do well compared to your average hatchback even. Which before the last couple of years were the baseline for economical milage prices.

Just my 2P. You do what you think is best.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
VW are bringing out a new chasis that they will use across the range of all VAG brands. It's one chasis for all cars and they can lengthen it, shorten it, widen it, change most things on it such as running gear and drive. So 4WD, front or rear - all the same chasis. Which keeps the build costs down. And means their engines will probably be right across the board too.

So like the Audi A4, VW Passat, Skoda Octavia, Seat thingy-me-bob are all the same, this will make all the cars very similar when it comes to working on them and getting parts for them. But they'll all be spec'd to meet the different markets just like they are now.

A very wise move and it should pay off for the buyers as they'll be cheap to insure and run and also hold their value well.

Love 'em I do VAG's. In a local car club and everything. Obviously run the Amarok Owners Club too now. :)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to advice needed (buying a car) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

This is especially for "customers" -anyone who wants to buy or choose their own tiles (whether...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q
G
I need to sell my wife's car to move to something bigger like a MPV type. So I thought I may as...
Replies
Views
O

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.