Discuss Advice needed guys - Uncalibrated slate floor tiles in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

G

GDR111

Hi folks,

I am a newbie to the forum, so bear with me.:stupid:

I have just bought a new built home and what I am looking for is really advice / opinions on uncalibrated floor tiles (slate).

I am planning on using slate floor tiles to the hall, kitchen and utility areas (approx 45m2). I have got quotes from a few different companies for the tiles but the best I have found by far is one through ebay offering £11/m2. The slate tiles are 300x300 but their thickness is not calibrated (8-12mm). I have found this with alot of the quotes I have been getting so really what i am looking for is opinions on this. Is it this as big a curse as I think it might be to fit these, or should I just avoid them and run for the hills (just stay with a uniform thickness tile)?

I would like to try and have a go at fitting the final tile myself but as I work 80+hrs a week in a design office I might not be able to get the time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

T

Turkish

If not experienced i would avoid laying these yourself, if you do though you need to grade the tiles by thickness and use the thicker ones in the heavier traffic areas and the thinner ones around the edges. Ensure the substrate is flat and if sloping start at the high end adding more adhesive under the thinner tiles to ensure the tiles end up level. Slate will need sealing too and there are plenty of posts on here relating to that.

Hope this helps mate!

Turkish:thumbsup:

ps: You can get calibrated slate but it`s more expensive, might be an easier option, oh and you will need to include expansion joints at every 8 - 10 linear metres either by using a preformed expansion strip or just using silicone

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Advice needed guys - Uncalibrated slate floor tiles in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
DIY Tiling; Advice for DIY Tilers So long story short, I have just purchased my first house and...
Replies
Views
hello Folks, its a tiny area. 1.8 m2. Joists are solid 3 inch wide. Area is upstairs close to...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB