Discuss Advice Needed On Laying Tiles Outdoors in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

UKDAVE

Hi all
I am just starting out a tiler and am looking for advice on laying 15m2 of 40x40 porcelain tiles. The customer has already bought the adhesive and grout but I am just wondering what is the best way to prepare the substrate that is existing tiles and also concrete. Please see attached pics, any help out there guys???
Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 73

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Hi Dave.

Have you had any training or just winging it a bit?! Worries me that you say you're starting out as a tiler and then don't know how to prep. That said see my comment at the bottom of this post.

I'm all for guys getting into the trade, and even doing short courses (which can be controversial sometimes but hey ho we all start somewhere). But to take on a job and not know how to prep is a bit overconfident maybe?

As for the question; I'd rip those tiles up. They do appear to be stuck well, as in there doesn't appear to be any repair jobs. Although the tiling its self is pretty shocking and lippy and whatnot. But that's probably a DIY job. Meaning you'll never know what they were stuck with or how long it's going to last. I'd assume under that is more concrete, so then you're preparing the whole thing for tiling.

It needs cleaning, and I'd consider screeding the lot to get it flat and one surface type.

I've tiled for a few years, about 7 or 8 years ago, and even I wouldn't feel comfortable tiling that I don't think.

And lads responding, let's give him the benefit of the doubt don't jump on the band wagon here and change the thread tone based on my response please.

U

UKDAVE

Hi Dan
Thanks for your response, basically I have done a very short course and am now working towards an Nvq. I have just started doing my own jobs but they have all been indoors on plaster/ plasterboard, hardiebacker etc.
With the floors I have done so far I have cleaned, primed and used slc and I suppose I just want confirmation that the process outdoors is basically the same?
I haven't taken this job on yet for this very reason because I don't want to take on anything I can't finish.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Fair enough Dave.

There's a crack in the concrete. And not sure what's going on with that wall in the background there appears to be moss or Damp or something running down it? That's reaching the floor and sent the concrete slimey?

Do you have any more pictures?

I'd say for now mate avoid this job that needs a lot of prep work to be made to take porcelain and be flat and problem-free.

Like I say, I wouldn't feel comfortable taking that on and I'm confident indoors.

O

Old Mod

Hi all
I am just starting out a tiler and am looking for advice on laying 15m2 of 40x40 porcelain tiles. The customer has already bought the adhesive and grout but I am just wondering what is the best way to prepare the substrate that is existing tiles and also concrete. Please see attached pics, any help out there guys???
Cheers
:eek::eek: That's an easy one, first thing to do is walk away! :D
If u've lead in your feet and can't, second thing I'd do is tell em to call u again when they have a new substrate for u!
Lastly, dig it up and start again! :D
That tiled path doesn't even look stable!
I'd still be running down the street screening! Haha

O

Old Mod

Joking aside tho Dave, if it's a money thing for u and u need the work, convince them they need a new substrate. Then get a builder u know who can put it right for u and offer to help him for a token wage, if not, for free. Then not only do u get a good surface to tile but u'll learn how to make future repairs urself! That's what I'd do I think.
Good luck, hope it works out.

J

Just Rizzle

ive done a few outside jobs in the past .the thing I did was remove all loose debris including those horrendous looking quarry tiles then treat with sbr 5/1 2coats then apply 2 coats of a good quality liquid dpm throw some silice sand over the 2nd coat to give it some grit for the screed to adhere to then stick the tiles down using a old fashioned sand and cement. slurry coat the dpm lay semi dry screed and slurry coat the screed and tile then stick down. that's how I did my patio 12 yrs a go still going strong.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Advice Needed On Laying Tiles Outdoors in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

DIY Tiling; Advice for DIY Tilers So long story short, I have just purchased my first house and...
Replies
Views
First time poster here. For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hello you Pro’s out there. I am embarking on replacing my current outdoor patio concrete slabs...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB