Discuss Advice needed on nightmare customer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Smudger

Really need some advice on job that has turned into a complete nightmare. Basically the customer is constantly changing his mind, asking me to do things then saying he doesn't like and asking me to redo it (the work is fine just doesn't like it) also expects me to do it for the same price. The slate tiles vary slightly in dimensions (278mm to 282) meaning it is impossible to have completely uniform spacings. I advised this at the start and sugested large spacing to compensate, but he insisted on 3mm gap. I turn up to work and the are post-it notes asking me to "rectify" uneven spacings. I could go on, the list is endless. I have just had a text to say the tiles on the window sill are uneven how am I going to sort it. The tiles are level, the window frames are slightly out. He has not put a level on it, just by eye and he assumes that my work is at fault. Everyone I know says that he is angling to avoid making final payment. Due to his constant interference the job is 2 months over and it has cost me a fortune. I have been blamed for various things from radiators leaking to plug sockets not working (neither of which I had touched). Every part of me says to walk, but can I claim breach of contract for unreasonble behaviour or am I legally liable to complete job? We have nothing in writing but I guess we have a verbal contract. Its really upsetting me now and affecting my missus. ANyone had any similar experiences?

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
hi smudger,i wouldnt walk as he will get a free job

i understand hes a difficult customer,i would arrange a meeting with him.
and get it in writing at this stage what you priced to do verbally\
also ask him at the meet to highlight everythign hes not happy with and explain what you are going to change and what you are not going to change about the job

adjust your estimate accordingly with his changes and proced to finish the job
take photos of everything you do
if hes not going to pay on completion pursue him through a small claims

good luck

S

Stewart

Great advice from Kilty..... Just for future reference, I always have a written quote and schedule of works, no matter how small the job is and have your customer sign it. Also any changes need to be put in writing. I won't even change the colour of grout without an email confirming their choice. This not only helps protects you but the customer also and comes in handy if you have any disagreements. I find this approach more professional and customers more than happy to agree and join in too.

It doesn't stop the customer from being awkward, but does give you and them guidelines to work with and as long as you stick to the contract and have the proof, then you take him all the way to get your money.

Get the job finished, learn from it, then put it behind you with your head held high. We all have cowboy customers, but that's the nature of the job we're in.....

S

Smudger

Great advide thanks. Basically, after initially looking at the job I turned it down because I felt that I would struggle with some of the non-plumbing/tiling work and felt it was too much to take on and could forsee problems. He was then let down with a small floor tiling job so I agreed to help him out with that job. While I was there he kept on for me to do the rest so I gave him a rough quote. I then (very stupidly) agreed to do the job but did not put it all in writing. I have now left the job, as he had promised to leave money for materials that I had already paid for (the agreement was to pay up front), when I spoke on the phone he started swearing at me for gettin f***ing s***ty about it. Your right I probably won't get paid the final payment, but I've decidied its best to move on and learn a few hard lessons for the future. AT the end of the day I'm happy with the work I've done but I'm not prepared to be abused. I have tried to complete the job but feel that it had just gone too far (my brother came with me yesterday and witnessed first hand what I have been having to put up with).

Reply to Advice needed on nightmare customer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Advice needed on nightmare customer
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.