Discuss Advice Needed Please in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

markbrown44

Hi everyone i'm going to be tiling approx 40sqm of floor in my own house with 60x60 porcelain tiles, the area to be tiled is the hall, kitchen/ dining and living room the subfloor is traditional 18-19mm t&g floorboards nailed to timber joists (approx 400mm centres)! So basically im looking some advice on the best way to prepare floor for tiles and what are the best products to use?. Im a kitchen fitter by trade and do quite a bit of tiling for splash-backs and kitchen floors but never had to do anything on this sort of scale!

Regards
Mark

O

One Day

The ideal for me (belt & braces) would be 18mm wbp ply overboarded and then Ditra membrane on top. (note the increase in height though)

If (big IF) the floor is already pretty strong and deflection (bounce) free, then 12mm Hardibacker glued to the boards with tile adhesive and plenty of screws would suffice.
In either case, you could use a flexible smoothing compound after overboarding to make sure you've a nice flat floor to start with.

M

markbrown44

Thanks for the reply's i like the idea of going over with 18mm wbp and ditra, can you recommend anywhere online i can buy ditra at a decent price as I haven't seen in on sale anywhere in NI? Also could you recommend a good quality adhesive to use? The 60x60 porcs we have chosen are from Topps its their sandwaves tile in charcoal which is exclusive to them, has anyone used this tile and can comment on its quality?

Thanks again
MArk

M

m3fitter

Thanks for the reply's i like the idea of going over with 18mm wbp and ditra, can you recommend anywhere online i can buy ditra at a decent price as I haven't seen in on sale anywhere in NI? Also could you recommend a good quality adhesive to use? The 60x60 porcs we have chosen are from Topps its their sandwaves tile in charcoal which is exclusive to them, has anyone used this tile and can comment on its quality?

Thanks again
MArk
why are you overlaying with 18mm wood ? just asking... thought people were recommending hardibacker of different thicknesses

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Advice Needed Please in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi, DIY home owner here in need of advice. Following a waste pipe leak that's now been fixed...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am hoping I may be able to get some advice. 2 years ago we had a new kitchen fitted and...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB