Discuss Advice needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

pjcm

I have a 6 square metre utility room floor to tile with 340mm x 340mm porcelain tiles. The floor is relatively new and is 22mm weyroc chipboard, it is level, good condition and has no deflection at all.

I have been advised I can use Bal single part fastflex using a tipped trowel straight onto the chipboard no need to overlay with WBP.

Or use Toppfix adhesive superflex 2 part flexible (a lot cheaper) straight onto the chipboard no need to overlay with WBP.

I have 18-20mm depth from floor to threshold, the utility room incorporates a sink, tumble drier and washing machine which dances around when on the spin cycle. I am wondering which option to go with. I would usually go that extra mile to make sure a job does not fail.

Your feedback on this would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance Paul

T

Time's Ran Out

Paul - I would never tile directly onto chipboard.

Look at the adhesive manufacturers fixing instructions for timber floors, and go with the most appropriate adhesive for your choice of tile after you have overboarded - IMO with a cement backer board or similar - if you are confident of no deflection.

I have seen on many occasions tiling direct to chipboard and within a short period of time water ingress has blown the floor or cracking along every joint.

Prepare to succeed.

Y

YourTiler

Hi Paul
I have used the Toppfix adhesive superflex 2 part flexible ( what a weird thing this stuff is :lol: ) on chipboard because the customer didn't want his floor to go any higher than it was, obviously except for the tile
Despite all my reasons as to why not he was adamant.
Anyway that was about 16 months ago. Not heard anything back, and believe me, I would have
You have to make sure that you leave nowhere for water to seep through (as said above) once the chipboard blows it's game over
Sometimes you do as asked, sometimes you walk away

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Advice needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys i’m going to be tiling over skimmed plaster walls in a kitchen for first time. (first...
Replies
Views
I've bought what I thought were floor tiles for my bathroom. They are 600 x 300 x 8.5mm ceramic...
Replies
Views
Ceramike
C

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Advice needed
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.