UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Advice needed! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Leigh Mason

Firstly hello everyone.
kitchen floor 49m2, getting quotes for new 60x60 porcelain tiles. Tiler wants to go over existing tiles
as he feels too much hassle removing and remaking good - floor both concrete and timber.
He also tells me it's standard practice to cut down an inward opening upvc door (as increased floor height will prevent opening) and tile over an existing manhole opening?
Neither of these sound right for the £1200 he is quoting?
Any advice would be welcome
Thanks

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
You don't really want to fix to existing tiles where you can avoid it. You never know how well they are stuck down, and we always hear the "oh well they've been fine for 20 years so far" but that's then about the time the materials start to lose strength, so they wouldn't last another 20 in many cases.

Plus you never know what's been used unless you get the same tiler in.

If their are height issues too; then that would swing it for me.

You will end up paying more to get the tiles removed, get the substrates good to tile to again, and then tile them. Compared to just tiling over tiles though.

We can't discuss pricing in the public forums, and mainly due to there being waaaaay too many factors involved on a job. For a tiler on here to give pricing advice, he'd need to physically see the job.

60x60 porcelain wont be cheap. So make sure you get them fixed well the first time around!!

If you need a tiler to come give you some proper advice and provide a quote, then submit your job here: I'm Looking for a Wall and Floor Tiler - Tiles | Floor Tiles | Wall Tiles | Tilers Forum - and tilers in your area will PM you for contact details and to arrange a suitable time to provide a quote etc.

p.s. if there are two different surfaces to tile to in the same room you have to use an expansion strip where the two surfaces meet. So make sure whoever you get, does do that. If they're different actual rooms then just one by the door is fine if they meet at that point.

C

CDS

Personally I'd be getting a few more quotes for peace of mind - In my opinion a 'tiler' that is going to tile over tile, cut down a upvc door and tile over a man hole cover isn't being very professional - so goodness knows what their tiling is going to be like?!!

If you've got their name by recommendation why not get them back and ask them to re-price to do the job properly, to give the tiler benefit of the doubt they may have been trying to keep the price down to get the work - its not easy out there at the moment??

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Advice needed! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I recently purchased my first property and the existing kitchen floor porcelain tiles were...
Replies
Views
D
Hi Thanks to all who provided advice on my bathroom project 3 years ago, tiling both the...
Replies
Views
swanman
S
B
Hello to all, I am need some advice on the following : Bathroom floor area 6' x 6' level...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.