UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Advice needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

Hlm

Hi,

first post and after some advice if you could help.

Just about to fully tile my en suite and was after advice on notched trowel size, adhesive and substrate prep work.

The tiles are 400x250 ceramic and I'm running a mosaic border around the room, would a 10mm and a 4mm trowel be okay? The walls are a mix of skimmed and bare gyproc. When I prime the wall which is partially painted would I have to scratch it up first?

Also, what is a good all round adhesive ie waterproof for the shower and suitable for the rest.

The shop is trying to sell me the tubbed sovereign stuff.

Thanks in advance!

B

bugs183

You'll need a sander with some course grit paper to remove the paint properly, horrible job i'm afraid!!
Now this bit is a pain too:
It will depend on how much thicker the mosaics are than the wall tiles, they look fab on the display board, but this can be a real pig to get right, the tile show room won't tell you that!!!!

If they are the same thickness, cut a piece of wood or tile slightly smaller than the width of the mosaic border, use that to spoon the cement based adhesive onto the wall, try and get a depth of about 3mm in there. Place the mosaics and then with a flat piece of wood, flatten the mosaics against the wall tiles to they are flat and flush, quite easy, wait for it to start drying wipe of with a sponge, wait for it to go quite hard then rake out the joints with a stanley knife or nail to remove the adhesive, wipe off so nice and clean. You don't want to see the adhesive too high in the joints or it makes the grouting look duff. Kinda simple!!!

Now if the mosaics are thinner than the tiles it gets tricky.
You can't fix mosaics neatly to a thick bed of adhesive, it will not work!!!! You may need to spoon a layer of adhesive on to border area and allow to dry to bring the level of adhesive up a few mm, and then do the previous stage.This is so you are only placing the mosaics in a thin bed of adhesive, too thick and the mosaics will form a wave, and you'll get in a right mess and start swearing, then the mosaics will fall off the mesh as the glue weakens, then you're in big trouble.
Don't think this is a quick and don't rush it.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Advice needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi - looking for a bit of advice if anyone has experienced this. Hands up I am completely...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello, i hope someone can give me some advice please. I’m planning on tiling our bathroom walls...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.