Discuss ADVICE needed in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

David Rowell

Good afternoon all. Just booked and job in for the coming Tuesday.
Small bathroom floor about 2m2, and customer has bought ceramic tiles.

The subfloor is sound and sturdy for her to walk on but on my way out
The door her hubby walked in and hes at least 20 stone in weight. Just wondering
What you people would be putting onto the floor boards before laying? Or would
extra support on the floor joists be recommended?

Cheers Dave

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Co.Durham
Never realised no more ply could be primed with SBR till I just read the data sheet... I cannot see a coat of watered down SBR making it fully waterproof ?

you learn something everyday I suppose.

ive used hardibacker for that long which doesn't need priming , I assumed all cement backer boards were the same.

thoughts..?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Co.Durham
There is a lot of confusion around certain boards, people assuming clever marketing words mean waterproof when in fact the board still requires tanking.

When I want waterproof , I tank... Alan..

if I want a good bond on timer floors and waterproofing isn't an issue , then cement boards .. But 3:1 SBR for waterproofing ... Nah.. Surely not.

O

Old Mod

I wasn't on about the dilution Dave just the confusion surrounding different boards. Tanking all the way for waterproofing for sure, board to suit tiles, I'll still use plasterboard if the weights allow it.

That sounds like a good thread for the Arms [MENTION=1789]Alan.P[/MENTION] Praps you could compile a definitive list of boards, their uses and methods of preparation! :sofahide:

D

David Rowell

Heres the final product in which you fellas gave me some great advice towards. Thanks again everyone :hurray:
20150407_112907.jpg 20150408_170131.jpg

S

Stef

Heres the final product in which you fellas gave me some great advice towards. Thanks again everyone :hurray:
View attachment 60673 View attachment 60674

That's looking good David.
The only thing I would have done differently would be to fix the centre of the tile to the centre line of the room.
I can't see the pics great as I use my I phone but it would have given you a bigger cut either side. My measurements might be off though..
Not a criticism m8, just a pointer for future reference.

D

David Rowell

That's looking good David.
The only thing I would have done differently would be to fix the centre of the tile to the centre line of the room.
I can't see the pics great as I use my I phone but it would have given you a bigger cut either side. My measurements might be off though..
Not a criticism m8, just a pointer for future reference.

Cheers mate. Yeah i hear you i did centre of door opening to the centre of tile,
as the centre of room didnt look right when you looked from the landing in. This job
Still took long imo. A best part of a day and a half including removing ild flooring, removing sink to move higher.
Trimming bath panelsand also door. Sure i will speed up soon lol

S

Stef

Cheers mate. Yeah i hear you i did centre of door opening to the centre of tile,
as the centre of room didnt look right when you looked from the landing in. This job
Still took long imo. A best part of a day and a half including removing ild flooring, removing sink to move higher.
Trimming bath panelsand also door. Sure i will speed up soon lol

Always hard to tell when you can't see the whole picture.
Keep going m8, the speed will come as you get more efficient. [emoji106][emoji106]

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to ADVICE needed in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello, looking for advice and what to do next. Have had main bathroom installed via a local...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB