UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss advice on chipboard floor needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Been to quote on a job today and advice needed on this one I think!

50mt total area, 15mts is 22mm water-proof chipboard on joists screwed every 12 inches due to wet underfloor heating below. The rest of the floor is 35mts of new screed with wet underfloor heating. Tiles chosen are 600 x 400 x 15 moleanos white limestone with a 3mm grout line.

My worries are the chipboard not being up to the job, the lack of screws holding it down to the joists (although it does feel pretty solid ), the risk of the tiles cracking along the substrate joint and basically it all failing in 12 months! Builder has said he's done floors like this for 20 years blah blah blah and isn't happy she questioned him about it. The client has done some research and said she thought ply should have been used but the builder had already done it when she got home.

Now she's asking me the best way forward and I thought I'd ask you guys how you get round this before making any suggestions. Taking the chipboard up isn't really an option as its glues and screwed and won't be easy. Will Ditra solve the issues? I think I read on here a while ago Ditra do not recommend/guarantee their product on chipboard. No guarantee from them means I can't guarantee it either I suppose. Ply over the top? Cant screw it every 6 inches due to heating below so is it worth it?

Or shall I just pass on this one!!

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to advice on chipboard floor needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I want to tile over a completely new floor. New floor joists have been installed with...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.