UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Advice on creating a wet room in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

ptoddy26

Hi guys

Been researching bits for quite a while now but there seems to be lots of different ways to create a wet room and lots of different products to do it with.

Currently my bathroom has a chipboard sub floor, and plastered walls. It's a 2mx2m room.

This is my current plan and I'm hoping you can advise if this is correct or if there are any better ways of doing a similar thing.

1. first of all I will be lifting the chipboard sub floor to re route pipes etc. Was planning to put the chipboard back down but may have to use plywood if it's unusable after lifting it.
2. I'm planning on purchasing an Impey Aqua-Dec Linear 2 shower former, cutting a section of sub floor out and put some noggins in to rest the former on.
3. Put marmox waterproof backer boards down.
4. Apply Mapei waterproofing kit on walls plus tape marmox board joints with the tape in the kit.
5. Put down underfloor heating.
6. apply flexible tile adhesive and tile floor and walls
7. finally grout with flexible grout.

I've probably missed some bits out but does this sound ok?

Do I need to apply the Mapegum WPS over the marmox boards or just on the joining tape?
Do I need a decoupling matting or will marmox boards on their own be ok?

Thanks for the advice

Paul

R

Rich

Do you have any experience with tiling/plumbing? My first advice would always be to get a pro to do the work. There is nothing wrong with DIY tiling but a full rip out and rebuilding a wet room is not DIY task, there is just so much that can wrong and when it does it costs a lot of money to put right (is see countless ruined wetrooms). I would advise getting a couple of quotes in, even if it is to see what you are facing, might not be as much as you think.

If you do decide to go ahead with it then ask as many questions as you possibly can on here at each stage of the project and we will do what we can to help.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Advice on creating a wet room in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am installing a shower/wet room in an upstairs on suite. Shower tray will be installed...
Replies
Views
When setting a wet room tray do you set it 6mm higher to take a cement board? Floor is 22mm...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
I'm about to start on an upstairs wetroom. There will be wet underfloor heating going in via...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.