UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Advice on how to become a tiler? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

wouldbetiler

Hello All -

I'm glad I've found this forum, can anyone offer me any advice/tips on what the best way to go about becoming a tiler. I'm 32 and am wanting to change career and take up a trade in tiling.

There are so many courses offering 'become a tiler in 4 days', I'm well aware these courses can't teach a trade in only 4 days. Are there any standard industry recognised qualifications available in tiling like city & guilds / NVQ etc.?

I guess the best way is to gain experience working with professionals, but being realistic whos going to take on a 32 year old as an apprentice?

Any suggestions anyone? :lightbulb:

Cheers

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
North East
It will take years of experience to aquire the skills that a full tradesman will have which you can only get on the real jobs, you could go to collage once a week for 40 weeks and do your NVQ at 2 hours per night trying to pick up week after week where you left off totaling 80 hours of training or you could do it in all in one go at an intensive course, even the short 4 day courses at 40 hours intense training in one go will be the equivalent to 80 hours stoping and starting at a college of 30 people at a slow pace. The intense courses get you up and running quickly with the relevant knowledge to do a correct job so you can go out and futher your skills out in the real world and gain your own experience their. You are right in the respect that noboby is goint to take you on as an apprentice at 32 and i dont suppose you want to work for nothing as well while you learn, so its a short course for you or nothing im afraid, all training centres are false environments at the end of the day so if your there for 4 days or 4 months its what info you can take away from your training and how quick you can learn, you are either practical person and can take things in or your not, if you are practical it shouldnt take long to pick the game up if you are taught correctly

Q

quick draw macgraw

Hi,
i recently completed intensive course at NE tiling training and would recommend it to anyone, i would also say that i could confidently do any domestic job that came my way although i have only done two jobs since i finished cos i work full time and the course was to teach me to do my own bathrooms. Every job is different and needs some thought before you start so you just need to take a practical approach, i dare say some time served tilers occasionally come across awkward jobs.
If i can i will post some pics of my first job for scrutiny under macs 1st job.

cheers steve.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I'd have a think about what work you want to do. If you don't need your NVQ's yet, just do a short course to get you into the trade, then if you feel you need the NVQ's for whatever reason, the training centre you visit should be able to point you in the right direction.

I know there's some movement in the industry training-wise at the moment but I can't really say what's happening yet. But you will be able to get qualifications at a few selected centres soon.

L

L & R CERAMICS

Hello All -

I'm glad I've found this forum, can anyone offer me any advice/tips on what the best way to go about becoming a tiler. I'm 32 and am wanting to change career and take up a trade in tiling.

There are so many courses offering 'become a tiler in 4 days', I'm well aware these courses can't teach a trade in only 4 days. Are there any standard industry recognised qualifications available in tiling like city & guilds / NVQ etc.?

I guess the best way is to gain experience working with professionals, but being realistic whos going to take on a 32 year old as an apprentice?

Any suggestions anyone? :lightbulb:

Cheers
yes go to your nearest college of building and signup for a 2 year course ,im not slating these 4 day courses but if you are serious and want to become a proffesional tiler and make a living out of it thats the best way to go ,i didnt say anything wrong there admin did i

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
North East
Great advice if your 16 or 17 years old and still living at home, different story when your 32, I get people attending my training centre as do other training centres, people that have been on a college course and packed in after 3 months because they are getting nowhere fast. We all know there are a lot of training centre about now, some good, some not as good out there, thats why you do your own homework and sound out and find out what you will be taught on these courses. You then go on one learn as much as you can, step into the real world and only take on the jobs that you are comfortable with and build up your skills there, you will also be taught how to price and measure jobs correctly, not just to go in with a cheap price, do a ropey job and get the trade a bad reputation. Its a pitty that its only the 4 day short training courses that are always mentioned, does it mean that if you do a longer course that you will be fantastic, its down to the individual, you have either got practical hands and an eye for detail or you havent.

C

Chrisfaefrance

Great advice if your 16 or 17 years old and still living at home, different story when your 32, I get people attending my training centre as do other training centres, people that have been on a college course and packed in after 3 months because they are getting nowhere fast. We all know there are a lot of training centre about now, some good, some not as good out there, thats why you do your own homework and sound out and find out what you will be taught on these courses. You then go on one learn as much as you can, step into the real world and only take on the jobs that you are comfortable with and build up your skills there, you will also be taught how to price and measure jobs correctly, not just to go in with a cheap price, do a ropey job and get the trade a bad reputation. Its a pitty that its only the 4 day short training courses that are always mentioned, does it mean that if you do a longer course that you will be fantastic, its down to the individual, you have either got practical hands and an eye for detail or you havent.

I imagine personal motivation plays a big part in it too. Someone really keen to learn as much as possible (as quickly as possible) would probably become a better tiler than a disinterested apprentice attending part-time day college for two years. I suspect, like anything, you need lots of motivation and lots of practical help in becoming good at tiling.

C

clmcg123

:wub: thers 2 sides 2 it here.was at college 4 a yr(1 full day awk)and hardly learnt a thing as the college is good but ther was a carry on with tiling tutor leaving etc.anyway,went 2 ne tiling 4 the 4dys and it was great and learnt more than i ever thought i could BUT i also knew there so much more to learn and didnt want 2 do the learning in somebodys bathrm etc,so iv stuk it out and i finish the 2nd yr in june and this yr has been really good.becos we hav 2 finish our units,we getting threw them all now but learnin plenty of good little useful tips on the way.my sister joined the college sept gone and she loving it 2.you r never 2 old 2 go 2 college either(i am 37,my sister,38)and as ther all mature students in our class,its never been a problem!!:wub:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Advice on how to become a tiler? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi there Homeowner here who recently had my kitchen tiled by a professional tiler. We’ve been...
Replies
Views
Hi, new to forum and first post, after some advice. Recently had the chamber of my fireplace...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi Just after any advice on starting up as a tiler , same old stuck in a dead end boring job...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.